Cities of the Cemeteries

Start from the beginning

"I don't know what to say," I whispered and lowered my head.

"Okay, well before we go any further you are grounded for another week. And each time I catch you breaking it, I'll add another week. How's that?" She stared at me and I didn't even look up. I just nodded. She continued, "And secondly, what were you doing out there?"

"I wasn't being Spider-Man, I promise," I quickly defended myself. "I was just... hanging out with one of my friends."

"Which one?"

"Um... Harley."

Complete silence.

"Oh." I looked up at her and a small smile had formed on her lips. "I didn't know that."

"Yeah," I couldn't help my smile either. "It was good."

"Okay," she sighed, "this does not validate your actions but... it's better than you doing something bad."

"May," I laughed, "what would I do that's bad?"

"I don't know, Peter, there are psychotic, manipulative people out there that can get you to do things that you don't necessarily want to do but-"

"May," I stopped her before I could get any more uncomfortable, "I don't do bad things."

"Okay," she smiled and silently chuckled. "Well... tell me about your time with Harley." She winked and shimmied toward me with a devious look in her eyes.

"I mean, it wasn't anything super special," my face burned and I stared at the floor, not wanting to embarrass myself any further.

She sat down at the dining room table and nodded her head towards the empty chair across from her. I silently cried myself to death in embarrassment and slowly sat down at the table across from her. "What happened?" May asked.

"Um... well we have this little place on the roof where we like to sit together and talk and watch the sunset and stuff. I know it's super cheesy but... I like it. And I think he does, too."

She had a sheepish grin on her face. "That's cute."

"May, stop."

"Go on."

I sighed. "Well, last night was different than the other nights because... I told him that I'm Spider-Man." I said the last part quietly, scared of how she might react.

"You told him? Already?" She seemed surprised. "That doesn't seem safe."

"We've gotten really close over the past few weeks. I've gotten to know him really well and he knows everything about me, too. It was time." I assured her and she nodded, doubtfully but respecting my decision.

"And he reacted... well, he reacted to it just about how you could expect anyone to react to it. But he got accustomed quickly and everything was back to normal." I finished and smiled.

"And...?" Her eyes stared into my soul, expecting more.

"We just kept talking. The whole night. That's why I was so late."