Safety First

"I can't. I can't move in with you." I broke the news to Dallas. After the dream I had had I realized what a mistake I was making. It was too soon. I didn't even know Dallas that well and I didn't trust him with Harper. I don't even know why I said yes in the first place. My hormones were all over the place.

"I'm truly sorry." 

"No, it's okay. Really. I shouldn't have pushed you. I just wanna make sure you're safe."

"Thank you. I appreciate it."

"But I have to stay true to my words. If you are living with Seth, than this can't be a romantic relationship."

I lowered my head, "I understand." 

And for some reason I wasn't even that mad about it.

After I had finished at Dallas' I went to the store. Seth's birthday was tomorrow and I needed to pick some things up. I went into the most local supermarket and went straight to the photo printing area. I picked up the canvas I printed out. It was lovely! I then went and bought him a blender that he had been dying for for the longest time, along with his favorite candy, Reeses. I picked out a card from Harper and a card from me. 

When I got back to house Seth was getting ready to leave for work. 

"Sorry I'm a little late. I had some errands to run."

"It's alright. She should be waking up from her nap anytime now." 

I shook my head yes.

"Have a good day at work."

"Thank you." 

He left without another word. Harper woke up 15 minutes later. I gave her some cheez its.

"Daddy's birthday is tomorrow!" 

"My birthday?" 

"No." I giggled, "That's next month. It's gonna be daddy's birthday."

She lit up with excitement when she finally understood what I was saying. 

"Do you wanna make him something?"

"Ya!!" 

I got out the washable paint and laid the card I had bought for her to him out on the table. The card had safari animals and "Happy Birthday Daddy!" ran across the top of the card. I opened the card up and painted her hand with green paint. I had her stick her hand on the blank side of the card. Her hand print was messy, but cute. I knew it would mean a lot to him. I cleaned Harper up and wrote her name in the card. She ran over to her baby dolls and began playing again.

Then, it was my turn. I got out the card I had bought for him. On the front it read "Happy Birthday to an amazing guy!". Cheesy, but sweet. I opened it up and wrote my own message in it:

Seth! It's you're birthday! You're 24 you oldie!  I'm so thankful for you and everything you do for Harper and I. You truly are a great father and I'm sorry I waited so long to tell you about our sweet girl. You mean so much to the both of us. I forever grateful that we started dating on that rainy Wednesday our Freshman year. You have brought me a lot of pain, but you have also brought some of the greatest gifts this world has to offer. Love, compassion, kindness, consideration, and above all our beautiful daughter Harper Rose Hope Wood.  And wherever our journey may go just know this: I love you. Whether that's romantically or friendly, I'm not quite sure, but I love you and I always will.

Love,

You're favorite person ever, Vi. 

I sat the pen down as tears glistened in my eyes. Everything I had written on the card was true. Nothing was a lie. It was all true.