Dallas. Not Texas.

2 days later..

"This cake is delicious, Seth." My mother said shoving a mouthful into her mouth. I had invited Seth over to have dinner with my family so they could see he wasn't that big of jerk. He was still a jerk though.

"Thank you. Amanda made it."

My mother gave him a look that could kill. You would think that a man should know not to bring up the "other woman", but Seth was oblivious to everything. I cleared my throat to make the silence less awkward. 

"Chase," Seth said finally catching on and changing the subject, "Are you still playing basketball? I'd love to come see you play sometime!" 

"Ya. I'm starting this year." He said proudly

"Chase!" I said hitting his arm, "You didn't tell me that! I'm so proud of you!" 

"Sorry. Thanks." Chase rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. Chase hated any attention being dragged to him. He kept to himself most of the time and didn't like being bragged about which made us want to do it even more!

"Well, I better get home. Keith is probably waiting up for me." Ivy got up from her chair and picked up her purse. 

"Yes, we better get going to. Chase has school tomorrow." My mother stated. 

"Oh. Okay." I said disappointed. I had hoped they would stay a little longer and visit with me. It'd been a while since we'd had genuine family time. 

"Bye honey. I love you." My mother kissed my head. 

"Love you too mom." 

Ivy and Chase gave me hugs and said their goodbyes and then left Seth and I alone with Harper dozing off in her highchair. 

"We need to get you to bed little monkey." I pulled her out of the chair and placed her on my hip. 

"Oh, hey! About that! I was thinking maybe I could take Harper home with me? To stay the night?" 

"Absolutely not!" I scoffed. 

"You're kidding me right?" Seth laughed, "She's my daughter too, Violet." 

I hugged Harper close to me. 

"I know that. I- I just don't feel comfortable yet!"

"You don't feel comfortable? I'm her father, Violet! Her father!" 

"Ya, well you didn't act like one till literally a couple weeks ago!" 

"I didn't know about her! You know I could go to court right? That has to be against the law somehow! Hiding a daughter from her father? Isn't that kidnapping!" We were screaming at each other by now. 

"Oh, right so this is my fault! You're the one who left me! I didn't think I was going to have to raise this baby on my own, but I did! I'm sorry that I don't want the only thing that I have ever truly loved taken away from me!"  I made sure to put emphasis on the word 'truly' because now, I really wasn't sure if I had ever truly loved him. 

I could practically see Seth's heart break inside his chest. I know those words hurt him, but it certainly didn't hurt as bad as when he left me. I looked down at my daughter. Her bottom lip was quivering. 

"Mama." Harper snuggled into my neck.

"I think you need to go."

"Gladly." Seth picked up his keys and left my apartment. I quickly went and laid down Harper before I had a mental break down in front of her. I went back out into the living room and laid on the couch. I turned on soap operas until I cried myself to sleep.

3am

My phone dinged. I searched for it on the coffee table with my eyes still closed. I finally got a grasp on it and picked it up. I opened my eyes and saw a message from someone on facebook. 

'That's weird.' I thought to myself. I rarely used facebook. I opened up the app and saw a text message from Dallas Wesley. I scanned my memory to see if I remembered the name. Dallas Wesley went to high school with me. Actually, he was the quarterback, a hot playboy that had his hands on every girl. Why was he messaging me? 

Hello Violet! How are you? Not sure if you remember me! We went to high school together! We were partners in chemistry. I really liked you, thought you were a good friend! Maybe we should catch up sometime? 

Let me know!

Dallas

I rolled my eyes. He probably just wants to get in my pants. If he knew I had a 2 year old daughter he definitely wouldn't be messaging me right now. I got up from the couch and saw I was still wearing my skinny jeans and sweater I had worn the day before. I walked to my bedroom being careful not to wake Harper up. I changed into some sweatpants and a tshirt and let my blonde hair fall to my shoulders. I laid down in bed and checked my phone to make sure my alarms were still on. I sighed as the notification for the facebook message popped up on my phone again since I hadn't answered it. I thought about it. I just got ask on a date and i'm going to decline? I haven't been on a proper date in a good 4 years. It would be good for me! Everybody tells me that I need to get back out there and have a little fun. They tell me I should have a life of my own instead of taking care of my daughter 24/7, which don't get me wrong, I love being a mom and taking care of Harper, but sometimes I need a break. And Dallas doesn't even have to be a romantic interest! He can just be a friend who helps me solve my problems and gives me advice on the 'males mind'. Maybe I will be able to understand Seth a bit more. 

I gave in and opened up Facebook. 

Dallas! Of course I remember you, how could I forget?  How are you doing? I would love to meet with you and catch up!! Let me know a date and time. 

Thanks for reaching out to me and I look forward to hearing from you!

Violet.