•N I N E T E E N•

♪ You seem so unaffectedWhile I go on in this hell ♪{Backstreet Boys—Undone}

While I go on in this hell ♪
{Backstreet Boys—Undone}

The Serese Theater and Opera house was at the south-east border of town, only a few miles from the Academy. Surrounded by vineyards and middle-class homes and steep trees, it exuded luxury and excitement. Harriet had been there several times, and though she had little affinities for plays and classic songs, she loved the architecture of the building itself.

The soaring arches, the white pillars, the beautiful slate walls and ancient carvings all around the open oak-wood doors. Chandeliers lined the wide cobblestone walkway, and carriages dropped off arrivals at its beginning.

As their coach approached, Harriet's ears rang. They might have been bleeding, she wasn't sure; for she had to share a carriage with none other than Constance Chaucer.

Thank you, Hermione.

She recalled the viper's final glimmer of glory as she shoved Harriet towards the vehicle Constance occupied. "Have fun!" she'd mouthed, snickering as she meandered to the other carriages.

Harriet spent the entire trip—only twenty or so minutes—listening to Constance banter on about her ever-gorgeous brother, her favorite pastries, school subjects, words. She wondered how appropriate it would be to ask her to shut up, but remembered her manners—as a chaperone, she had to show poise and dignity.

Was it a test? Because sitting with Constance was agony.

The second their coach door opened, she sucked in the fresh air and almost jumped out before the footman offered his hand. But she recalled her courtesies and motioned for Constance to descend first.

Constance beamed, her midnight blue and silver gown brushing gleaming in the pale moonlight. "Oh, how lovely! I had seen drawings but never up close! I should tell you, my brother loves the opera, he speaks of nothing else—"

"—you speak of nothing else," grumbled Harriet through gritted teeth, waiting for her turn to alight. Once she did, the carriage attendant gave her a glance of knowing, while Constance prattled on about her brother's favorite plays.

As she adjusted her dress and fixed her shawl, she could have sworn she heard the man say Good luck.

"That sounded inappropriate," said Hermione, arriving with Sir Knowles and the other three students. No other educators accompanied them that night. The Assistant Director insisted such a small group needed nothing but two chaperones and himself.

Hermione batted her lashes and pouted her lips as she sidled next to Harriet, her dress expanding like a blossoming flower.

Here we go.

As other attendees swished by in shimmery silks and matte breeches, with feathered headgear and high top-hats, Sir Knowles lined up the Juniors while Harriet and Hermione stood off to the side.