•T W E N T Y - N I N E•

♪ I'm not in the swing of thingsBut what I really mean is ♪{Lorde—Still Sane}

But what I really mean is ♪
{Lorde—Still Sane}

The shock from Cristina's revelation didn't dissipate after a few days. Too confused to function, Harriet snuck from class to class, unwilling to come close to Esther, wary of the way she'd look at her. And worried she'd blurt out what Cristina asked her to keep secret.

Sir Bristol paid my dues.

She'd uncovered a mystery, and a surprise person reentered her life in ways she hadn't expected. But could she forgive Esther because of it? Could she forgive herself? She still feared Esther's gestures and friendship had been forced. After all, she was the type to exaggerate and be over-the-top. Why would this situation be any different?

Harriet spent several sleepless nights gaping at her ceiling, gripping a pillow for comfort. Eyes scratchy and dry by the time morning came around, she heard the heavy footfalls of her fellow Seniors rumbling down the halls, waking to break their fast.

August had arrived, meaning the end of the third term. And with each day, she saw her panic worsen; she would soon graduate and had no clue what would happen next. She'd had no news from her father which, when she thought about it, was good, and yet... it caused eerie sensations to swell in her stomach. Would he write her to explain how he would proceed once she came home? Would she join him at court and watch him scam every noble living in Torrinni Castle? Or would he send her to some half-wit of a man he'd conned into marrying her?

And... will I have a choice?

In the Dining Room, she listened to conversations and realized the most discussed topic was coming-out parties. The Freshmen and Sophomores dreamed of theirs. The Juniors fawned over those they'd attended during breaks. And the Seniors debated which dress-maker they'd enlist and how bold their gown would be.

Though she remained at a distance, unwilling to mingle with the girls of her age—none would allow her to, anyway—she couldn't help but take note of what they declared.

"My beloved is not sure he wants to attend," said Hermione, dipping a finger into her tea and hissing as it burned her.

Across from her, Charlotte scraped a utensil on her plate. "At least you know who will be there... Father has created a guest list to include every noble in Totresia and a few from surrounding countries, too. He wants everyone aware that his youngest daughter is about to join the ranks and find herself a high-placed aristocrat like his other two darlings. The pressure."

Harriet snorted into her cup of tea, sending bubbles to the liquid's surface. But to her luck, rumbling noises in the room muffled it.

Julia, at her usual spot beside Charlotte, sighed. "Father will organize a themed party, I assume; he said Axel will come home, but... I doubt it." Her words melted into the air, ignored by Hermione and Charlotte who continued debating their celebrations.