•T W E L V E•

♪ All your moves that make me wanna run awayBut I got stuck with faulty legs ♪{Banks—Mind Games}

But I got stuck with faulty legs ♪
{Banks—Mind Games}

"Oh—" Esther swallowed her bite, then pointed at the name on her list with her utensil, "—his reputation states he has the most gorgeous eyes. I cannot for the life of me recall his first name, but... son of a Marquess? Dreamy."

Harriet giggled, taking a swig of her water. For days, Esther scrutinized a list her father had sent her—the men he hoped she'd consider marrying. Perfect allies for the County of Rosford.

"He sounds delightful." Harriet wondered if she had met the Marquess of Valeville before. She recalled her father calling him a stiff and stern man who conceded nothing, well-set in his ways. And a firm loyalist towards the current King's bloodline. "But learn his name before you choose to entertain him, yes?"

Esther scoffed. "Obviously. This is but a pre-list." She squeaked as she underlined another contender with her gloved fingertip. "Ooh, and this one—dashing! A master at sword-fighting. Sword-fighting, how enchanting!" Batting her lashes, her eyes like glowing sapphires, she clasped her hands and dropped her utensil onto the plate with a bang.

A few gazes swept their way—but few ate dinner as late as they did that evening, and many had papers to write and manners to study, including the viperous trio.

"He did not put the Princes on this list, but..." Esther smacked her lips, "I am certain he wishes me to think on them, too."

"But Prince Sébastien has not returned from his travels." Harriet cut a piece of meat and lifted it to her mouth. "They say he might never come back."

Who said it, she wasn't sure. Rumors about court and the royals always circulated the Academy halls, between gossip about Harriet and her father's waves in Torrinni.

Father...

She exhaled. "I have news. I did not mention it the other day, but..."

Esther perked up. "I only care that you are not leaving, dear friend; nothing else matters." She smiled. "It is not surprising you would forget to bring up other details!"

"Yes, well... this is not good; it is horrid. I am still processing." She chewed her bite and swallowed, the crisp parts of the meat scratching down her throat. "Father... is coming here."

Esther shot up. The brusque movement alerted the few students in the Dining Room, but when she dropped into her spot, they returned to their meals. "He is what? And you... you waited to tell me? Harriet!"

"I know, I know, but I... had to process it." She glared into her plate, her appetite evaporating. Her stomach had growled so much in their last class, but now... it wouldn't accept another morsel of food. "I expected him to send someone for me, when he wanted me home... and when Sir Knowles said I was staying, it overjoyed me, it did... then he spat that at me. Your father will be here in a few days. That is why I declined dinner and tea. I had to... isolate myself."