Finally! Cherrygrove City Contest!

The Cherrygrove City contest. The judges were in their places, Mr Contesta, Mr Sukizo and Cherrygrove City's own Nurse Joy. Jillian Meridian, cousin to Vivian and Lilian Meridian and sister to Marian Meridian, was the MC of Johto contests. Like her sister, you could tell the difference because of the fact she had no mole on her face.

"Hello and welcome to the Cherrygrove City contest! I am glad to announce that this contest marks the start of the contest season here in Johto, as it is our first year in twenty that a Grand Festival will be held in the region!" There was applause, everybody merry and patriotic to their region.

I straightened my bandana. This was going to be a contest to remember. All around me, girls were doing their hair at the vanity or applying make-up. Some girls were even fixing the bows on their dresses! I thought people didn't need to dress up for these events?

I waited in the general waiting area with Drew, eager to see the backs of those self-obsessed girls. It was a bit much, in my opinion. But by my personality, by the next contest I'd be there all afternoon!

"Those girls," I jerked a thumb over my shoulder. "they're all dressed up and putting on make-up! This is a Pokémon contest, not a beauty pageant." I rolled my eyes, fake yawning. Honestly, I felt a bit hurt that I wasn't notified of the dress code.

"Yeah, I got that. I talked to Harley; he says Johto contests are like Sinnoh's in that it is etiquette to dress up formally and most people use ball capsules and seals, particularly in appeal rounds." I gritted my teeth. Bad news to hear just as it's starting!

"Oh no, I haven't got any of that stuff!" I cried out, clenching my fists tightly at my sides. "What am I gonna do? Drew, you gotta give me some advice." My hope dwindled. My confidence was flawlessly drained.

"I'm afraid we're going to have to wing it and buy them later. We can't run down to the PokéMart or something!" He shrugged and I tapped my feet nervously in anticipation. Everything was going wrong!

"Next up, it's Harley!" Jillian's voice boomed through the stadium. I looked up at the screen to see Harley entering the arena. I was interested to see him perform after his words yesterday.

"Banette!" He released his Pokémon, and shadows of stereotypical ghost silhouettes floated around it. So that's what a ball capsule and seal did!

"Will-O-Wisp!" He pointed at the ghost-type Pokémon, who responded by forming blue flames in a circle around it. The ghosts still flew about.

"Now use Thunder!" The ghosts seemed to possess the Will-O-Wisps, and they danced around as Banette executed the move Thunder flawlessly. Thunder laced the Will-O-Wisp ghosts in a snowflake pattern on the surface, and Banette sent them flying into the air, the circle twirling around.

Banette stopped the circle in mid-air, and flew right into the centre of the circle. "Finish this off!" Banette used Thunder once more on the Will-O-Wisps and suddenly they all disappeared. Banette flew back to its trainer's side as the crowd cheered.

"What a stunning performance!" Jillian said. "Now let's hear from our judges. Mr Contesta?" She gestured to the man, who nodded.

"A truly incredible performance."

"It was remarkable!"

"I love the way Banette's eyes seemed to light up as it performed. It's looked after well!" The judges all said their comments and Harley walked backstage.

"Next up, it's!" Jillian announced the next contender, who was someone neither Drew nor I knew. I sighed heavily. Harley may be a jerk but he's good at coordinating. That was for sure.