Chapter: V

It was graduation day for Josh Krestin and his best friends, Joey Richard; Matt Lander; and Josh's beautiful princess, Lilith Garcia. They stood with pride in front of the crowd at the valedictory ceremony of the graduating class of 2010 Lithium High. As they smiled and posed for pictures, they had no idea of the obstacles and speed-bumps that waited ahead in life. Just like all the other young graduates, everything was unclear, a blank slate. The road was long, and the adventure was yet to begin.  Josh's parents took hundreds of pictures; dumped them into their laptop, then took more. It was as if time had momentarily frozen. It was a glorious moment that not one of the friends wanted to end.  It was a happy day for the pack of four. They all grew up together and made a an unspoken pact to take care of one another.

Josh was a tall, thin, fit kid with black layered wavy hair that ran down his face.  He was neither a nerd nor a popular kid. He was the neutral ground that maintained the balance in the pack, always lost in his own world. No one could truly tell when he was paying attention or when he was spaced out, yet it was a world that always included in his friends.  

Matt Lander was small and skinny. He didn't really believe in exercise or P90X routines. It just wasn't his thing. Instead, he was more interested in video games and science.  He believed in anything that had probable facts. If it couldn't be proven, it wasn't worth his time. He had short, light brown, spiky hair perfectly matching his brown eyes, which was always gelled up to the max. He was the smart one from the pack. If anyone had a question to make, he'd be the one to ask, and if anyone avoided asking him, it would be taken as a direct insult. 

Joey Richards was the jockey. He was a natural-born athlete. He was one of the best, if not best player for the Lithium high school hockey team. His favorite sports were football and hockey, but he could play any game, and in months, he'd climb his way to the top. It had become a custom for him, his own competition.  His true calling was football and hockey. He loved the physical violence that was permitted in both sports. It was his self-therapy. Any anger or issues he had to deal with, he'd deal with them in the ice ring, or out on the field. Anyone who knew Joey thought he was the calmest athlete ever, yet all of the athletes respected him because he was fierce and agile.  Joey was the Blondie of the group paired together with his piercing dark blue eyes creating a charm that always caught attention, his hair trimmed down tightly to the scalp. If there was one thing he hated, it was spending more than five minutes dealing with his hair, so at a young age, he decided to keep as short as possible. He was the shortest from the guys in the group  yet was husky and fit. With time, he was the only one of the four to be noticed as one of the popular kids, but he never had the heart to depart from his friends. He had grown pretty fond of them. 

Lilith Garcia was a tall, skinny, beautiful girl with shimmering intense amber eyes and long brown hair that would reach all the way down to her lower back, just like Joey she wore a fit appeal, not being one to love sports but did share the same passion at working out as Joey did. She always carried her self with joy and wore and gentle and welcoming smile but behind shimmering eyes, stood an explosive time bomb temper that could easily be released upon hitting the right topic or pushing past her large amount of patience.  Her kindness had it's limits, those who tested it would find her dark side.  She and Josh were together since fifth grade, which was seven long years. But she knew since first grade that they'd end up together. 

The four smiled and posed, even though they were different in so many ways. The one thought that remained was that no matter what the future would bring, they would always have each other, or at least that's what they believed.  Two long years had passed since graduation day; the four agreed to attend the same college, to honor their promise. They all attended the University of Lithium City, located downtown, miles away from where they all grew up. Josh decided to study criminal justice, while Matt followed his hopes and dreams of becoming a biologist. Lilith turned her interests towards becoming a lawyer, and Joey without hesitation just picked the first career that came across his sight on the university's website: computer science.