Chapter 65

After completing another lap around the hallway Ian thought he saw a ripple along the outer wall. He put the survival card away and pulled out his phone, hoping he might be able to take a video of the oddity. He wanted to make sure it wasn't his imagination playing tricks on him. He ascertained it was not a trick of the light.

The outside wall was indeed distorted and rippling. Through the lens of his phone he saw not a wall, but an expansive mirror stretching from floor to ceiling and running the length of the inside wall. After lowering and raising his phone a couple of times to confirm he had not gone crazy, he inspected the mirror through his phone, looking for a way out. He didn't have to go far.

Around the first bend he saw the mirror's reflection changed. Inside the mirror reflected a separate hallway that was not present in his own. "Must be some kind of illusion." Ian mumbled as he reached for his survival card. He slashed the wall again, marking where the mirror had reflected the new hallway. He snatched up a gaudy candelabra from a nearby table. "When in doubt, break something." Ian grinned and heaved the candelabra into the wall.

The reaction was volatile and immediate, causing Ian to stumble as the hallway snapped like a rubber band. The many doors, tables, chairs, and even paintings collided and condensed until only one of each remained. Ian was left standing in front of the door he'd left hours ago. Only this time he could see the end of the hall rather than an infinite curve. He rushed toward the end of the passage, part of him afraid that he'd get sucked back in the illusion.

The hall ended at a set of double wooden doors. He pushed them open only to find another corridor. This one was made of gray granite blocks and was quite spartan, boasting only a few torches along the wall to light the way. There were no more doors, just the choice of left or right. With his eenie-meenie-miney skills, Ian settled on the right path.

His heart was still hammering in his ears as his footfalls echoed down the lonely corridor. He expected someone to suddenly appear or melt up from the floor to drag him back to his room. Or perhaps to a proper dungeon. Aside from the torches that lit the hall there was nothing to see. No adornments, no doors to try. He was beginning to think that perhaps he should head back and try the other way. He quickly decided that turning around would cost him precious time, so he pulled out his phone once more.

Ian scanned the walls, floor, and ceiling with the camera lens as he looked for a way out. It paid off when he spotted the tiny purple rune on the wall. He had no idea what it meant, but he knew one way to test it. He pulled out his survival card once more and employed it to cut through the rune. With a soft pop a section of the wall slid back. Beyond was a familiar sight, and with-it Ian knew where he was. The Harlequin Court's headquarters.

He slipped into the Gallery of Opulence from the newly christened, Hallway of Boring, and headed for the door to the library. The Gallery had been restored to its previous pristine condition. The ludicrous diamond chandelier refracting light to the room as Ian sprinted across the space heading to the library. He was halfway there when his brain kindly reminded him that he was unarmed and in the middle of enemy territory. He needed a weapon, and that meant exploring.

Ian changed course, heading for a smaller door on the left side of the room. This door was unlocked, which Ian took that as an invitation to continue on. I guess when you're arrogant enough to think you're an all-powerful supervillain, locks don't matter as much.

The following hallway was stone, though it looked much more well-traveled than the previous one. Scuff marks covered the huge brown-gray blocks and the unmistakable scent of sweat permeated the air. Sconces set aflame every ten feet or so illuminated this passage.

Ian passed a few more closed doors, favoring the open ones at the end that were pouring out bright white light. It made it all but impossible to see into the room. He drew close enough to hear the shouts coming from inside and the sound of metal clanging against metal. He flattened himself against the wall and did a quick reconnaissance of the room. His heart stopped in his chest and he whipped back against the wall.

Not good.