Chapter 36

Hope, it turns out, is a fragile thing.

Vale was waiting for them at the gates of the city with a sad smile on her lips. She wore a finely tailored sleeveless black gown that came down to her ankles. A pair of black gloves covered her arms, stopping above the elbow. It left her shoulders bare. The collar of the dress came up high along her neck making it seem longer, slenderer, and more feminine. Ian decided it was a startling, and frankly breathtaking, change to her appearance.

"The Arcane Seer is dead. An unknown assassin infiltrated the city, past the wards, through the guards, including the Heren'elen itself, and murdered him." Her voice cracked now again as she relayed the grave news. "The Forgotten Kings are investigating, but I doubt they will find any clues. We on the under-leaf know exactly who did this."

Mal shifted over to Vale and pushed his head against her thigh to offer comfort. She reached down and began to pet him, looking at the wolf while addressing the others. "Over the next few hours, I will have some duties that I must attend to, as the last remaining relative. Tomorrow we will continue with our mission to get Ian home." Her melodious voice shifted to a tone of harsh bitterness, "And defeat the Court."

Ian offered her a comforting smile. The same smile he'd offered so many times to grieving widows, fathers, and all manner of loved ones after a loss. A smile that, even once, was used far too often.

She stood back up, giving Mal a final scratch, and addressed Roland. "What did you find in the cave?"

"Nothing of use I'm afraid. Years of absorbing every piece of arcane knowledge... but I could barely discern what it was I was looking at." Roland's frustration leaked into every word.

"We need to plan our next steps. Ian informed us that there was, or is, a Star Chart at Justiciar Law." Ban spoke softly, pulling them all from their grief and back to the task at hand.

"Yes that is what we were doing at Justiciar Law," Vale said while giving Ian a disapproving glare, then turned her attention to Ban, "The Seer had information that the lawyours there were with the Court and that the Court, in turn, had a Star Chart. I am unsure if the attacks afterwards are any indication of that or merely attempts to capture Ian. However, it is the last, the last..." Her voice hitched, and she cleared her throat. "We will talk later, I have secured your rooms at the Star Tree Inn. When I have finished my duties, I will find you."

"Do you want company? I can't offer much help, but I can go with you... so you're not alone." Ian offered lamely, seeking a way to make up for his earlier slip about the Star Chart. At least that's what he told himself.

The corners of Vale's lips turned up, a dim forgery of her radiant smile, "No, Ian, thank you. Elven funerals are a private affair for blood family and chosen family alone. Please go with Ban and Roland to the Inn." She gave a bow and departed. Mal followed behind her, his bushy tail hanging low.

They made it to the Star Tree Inn with Ian stopping only once to ask for directions. Behind the counter, Lirey, or Reyli, nodded politely. Her face was as morose as the city outside. In keeping with the theme of mourning she wore a black dress with gold laced around the fringes.

"Welcome back, Gent McClintoc. We have rooms ready for you and your friends, Lady Therrae sent word ahead." Reaching under the desk she produced three keys and set them on the countertop. "True sorrows for her dear Uncle."

"Thank you," Ian said as he accepted the keys, "I'm sorry for your loss."

"Loss?" Reyli, or Lirey, asked with a quizzical expression on her face, "We have all gained much from The Arcane Seer's wisdom and will never lose that. It is sad, but he is with Yebarra now, and the cycle of life goes on."