Chapter 47

"Sed Inviabli moblatium," Roland uttered the arcane words and a clear bubble popped into existence, surrounding himself and Mal.

From the lookout post, a groan of agitation sounded as their target vanished. The mage who had been channeling the cloaking spell let it drop, sweat pouring down his pudgy face. His annoyed gaze went to his allies.

"I told you three to be quiet!" The mage shouted angrily. "Now he knows we're here." There was no point in trying to hide anymore, and the others had no words of defense for their shortcomings. "Well... go and find him," When no one moved he amended his request, "Right now you bogkin kuth!"

The trio jumped up and scrambled for the stairs, glad to be leaving; it was never a good idea to piss off their self-appointed leader. They drew their blades and went to the building Roland had been hiding inside. The mage trudged a fair distance behind them to make sure they stayed on task, his fingers clenched in white-knuckled fists.

"See what your bumbling wrought!?" The mage hissed, "Do not underestimate him, or his mutt. And for Shirah's sake, do not set off any of the traps he laid because I will not free you," He pointed towards Stahpler. "You, upstairs," turning to Rylon, "Go with him. Go up three flights and work your way down"

The two departed leaving Cameron alone with the seething mage. The large man fidgeted in the uncomfortable silence, he could swear he felt the heat of the mages anger. The wizard turned to the big warrior, "Let's go. We don't want to fail Lord Dakon do we?" He asked as one might a child.

"Oh no, that would be horrible," Cameron replied.

There was an audible sigh and visible shudder before the mage set about his task. Methodically searching the building with Cameron in tow, tossing out handfuls of dust as they went. Searching a twenty-story building would take some time, but after the first few floors, the mage called to a halt. Stahpler and Rylon rejoined them.

"Either he is farther up, or he has fled. It is far more likely he fled. We check the street," The pudgy mage ordered.

Roland was nothing if not patient, at least when it came to combat. Like a tranther in a tree, he waited for his prey. He sat in the road in a mostly relaxed pose when the four armed men came out of the building. Unlike the crimson-clad mage, he had no trouble maintaining a stealth bubble. At least that was Roland's name for the sphere that kept him concealed. The real name was a ludicrous number of syllables.

When the group split up Roland got to his feet. Rylon and Stahpler crossed the street while Cameron fell behind mage once more. Roland stalked behind Cameron in a cartoonish fashion, keeping pace as the man moved down the sidewalk. He listened to the man's mutterings about someone named Dakon and about Roland himself. Somehow, they had forgotten that there was a massive shadow wolf in Roland's company.

"If I didn't know any better I'd say they forgot about you, pal. Let's remind them, shall we?" Roland gave Mal a pat and his tail wagged in agreement. I almost feel a little guilty about this... well, no. No, I don't. Roland thought. He closed the gap between himself and Cameron, pulling the big warrior into the bubble.

"He's over here!" Cameron shouted with a triumphant smirk. "You are coming with me, I am sure Lord Dakon will want to question you!"

Roland stared at Cameron with a pitying look.

"Gents?! I got him." Cameron said weakly, glancing around for his cohorts. It was then Cameron noticed the mages right hand was pointing off to the left. He had all of half a second to see the gray blur of teeth springing towards him before he was taken to the ground. His sword clattered against the sidewalk beside him as he felt fangs pressing against his throat. Instinctively he reached for the dagger on his hip, but there was a loud growl vibrating into his throat that persuaded him to stop. His hands fell to his sides and he let out a strangled, whimpering sound.