Chapter 21

Cedrick's P.O.V.

It was almost ten in the evening when I got back to the palace. There wasn't any person at the moment so I was surprised to be welcomed by the deafening silence present around. The entire place wasn't lighted well also which made it more hostile than it seemed to be.

I passed through the empty halls leading to my room until I heard my mother speaking to dad in the office. The room's door was opened ajar so I took the opportunity to eavesdrop even if it wasn't right.

"Cedrick's birthday celebration will be held in less than two weeks from now and yet we still haven't sent any invitations to our guests." Mom implied.

I almost forgot that my birthday was already fast approaching. It was one event that I should remember and like the most because it was the day I set my foot on this planet though on the contrary, I disliked it very much.

I didn't mean to say that I wasn't thankful for having this life of mine but the kind of it that I had wasn't what I wanted. I only wished to have a simple and less complex life where I could live normally.

My birth also brought this family a lot of pain and suffering. I'd cause them a lot of trouble but it was nothing compared to what I'd have with me that almost broke my parents apart. I couldn't even say it directly.

This celebration was only for formality's sake. I was deeply aware that my parents, especially mom wouldn't even dare to do this if it wasn't needed. They only started upholding me a party after my brother died.

I shook my head in dismay and I left them alone. I went straight to my room and changed into some clean clothes.

I hadn't done any of my schoolworks yet so I tried to accomplish them even if it was only a Friday evening. I started off with my Physics homework which was undoubtedly harder than it seemed to be. I wasn't able to listen to my lessons well due to boredom and restlessness. I also often dozed off which hindered me from catching up with the discussions.

I reread the entire chapter so that I could ingest in my mind the concepts involved. Afterwards I finally understood everything so I was already able to do the assignment in that subject.

The rest of the homework was a piece of cake especially Calculus. It was actually my favorite subject that was why I was able to teach Sarah easily when she had a hard time dealing with it last time.

I was about to sleep after I'd done my tasks but a maid suddenly barged in. I couldn't recognize her face and I was irritated by her rudeness so I looked at her disapprovingly.

"Why didn't you knock?" I inquired abruptly. She was fazed.

"I'm sorry, young lord. I just came to tell you that the king is waiting for you downstairs." She replied nervously. It was obvious that she was new to this thing. How naive!

"Tell him that I'm asleep." I said bluntly.

She was about to protest but I covered myself with the duvet giving her no choice but to retreat. I felt a bit guilty for she might lose her job because of my impudence but I didn't have any interest to talk to my father about anything regarding the party. She could just find a new one if ever the worst case scenario occured.

As I heard the door closed, I pushed the soft material away from my face. I tiredly stared at the ceiling for a moment or two. My mind was blank.

I was surprised when my father suddenly came into my view. I immediately rose from my bed and smoothed out my crumpled shirt.

"What are you doing here?" I asked impatiently. I was careful with my words but it seemed that my tone gave away any sign of annoyance.

He sighed in dismay. His eyes were filled with regret and sorrow and wrinkles were already showing up at their sides. His forehead was creased as if he was stressing himself over something. It was normal for a king to be like that so I wasn't worried for him at all.