A Close Fall

*Edited 6/7/18*

Chapter Ten

Nicoles P.O.V.

My legs moved on their own as I scurried down the hallway in a fury to get to my truck without being seen by the basketball posse. Practice had an aura in the air that everybody could feel as no words were exchanged between any friends. 

Everybody knew about the fight between Ky, those other boys, and me; which left half the team focusing on Ky's movements towards me all practice. I can't have this. I can't have their attention on me with Ky and some secret fantasy of theirs. 

I can't deny that Ky is good looking, but I can deny that I will think about him in that way. From here on out, I will lead nothing on between us. Ky has a girlfriend and I have me, myself, and I. That's the way I want it, and that's the way I like it. 

~~~~~~~~

The next day my body ached and begged me to stay in my wonderfully comfy bed. I cracked one eye open and regrettably opened the other. Skylar jumped on my stomach and licked my face as she sensed my awakening. 

"Ugh dog, your breath smells like Scotty's room." I wrapped my arms around her fluffy neck and pulled her into my chest to cuddle with her. Sky pretends she would love hugs and kisses back, but as soon as she is pinned down, she wants out. 

She whined, so I let her go only for Emma to randomly jump on my face. I blew air on her stomach, which I knew she hated, and she jumped off of me, giving me time to get up without any balls of fur leaping on me again.

I looked at myself in the mirror and just laughed at my senseless hair. The bizarre forms it makes in the morning are totally not picture perfect. I changed into my running clothes, my white sports bra, my black sports tank top, and my black tights that I normally just wear for running.

I grabbed my running shoes out of my closet and turned off my lights and my fan on my way out. I sashayed on a bag and tiptoed down our wooden floors without a single creak. I almost got through the door when I heard my dad's booming voice yelling after me.

"Where are you going so early in the morning?" he asked me looking at my purse and my running shoes. His skeptical parental eyes stared me down until he took a look at my outfit and reconsidered the sneaking out thought. 

I could tell by his facial expression, that he finally understood by the running shoes and running clothes. His mouth made an 'O' shape and he smiled at me. "There goes my little flash once again, running off like a cheetah in the wind." He said almost proudly.

"Cheetah in the wind, seriously dad?" I laughed at him. "I am going to visit Freedom and take her for a little run." I slightly lied to him using my sad puppy tone and sad puppy eyes. "Fine, take the truck not the big black brick." He told me giving me the do-you-understand eyes.

We call our GMC Yukon XL the big black brick, it was something I made up with my mom when I was little which just stuck with our entire family. "Okay, I promise I won't scratch it." I winked at my dad and ran off.

I looked back and saw my dad rubbing his temples. I felt bad for him, all he ever does is work and we don't really get much family bonding time. He at least gets this quiet time in the morning to enjoy his lake view, coffee, and a pop-tart.

I ran out of the house and jumped in my dad's truck. I made the engine sprout to life and backed out of the drive way. Within ten minutes I arrived in the parking lot of the school and saw that only a few cars existed in the lot. 

I saw a black and blue Camaro, which I intended that it was Ky's car being the pampered brat he is. Overhearing Olivia's constant talks about money, I can only infer her parents are loaded and that money has only rubbed off on the children.