Newly Instituted Friendships

*Edited 6/4/18*

Chapter Seven

Nicole's P.O.V.

I scowled on my way to third period with my feet shuffling along the way. I felt bad for feeling angry, but I couldn't help the way Ky had made me feel helpless. I dragged my feet along, rummaging through the past events in my mind. 

Ky hasn't been the nicest person to me since school started yesterday. If these boys were trying to scare me off of the team, I would've though Ky would be all for that before now. My ears abruptly picked up on the patter of an extra pair of shuffling feet. 

"Nicole what's the matter?" Ky yelled after me. "Hell! I can solve my own problems and I don't need your help, okay?" I glanced over as he is now at my side with a glare along with my words. I need to be able to stand-up for myself and not have people believing I need Ky around. 

"Whoa, okay, I was just trying to help. God, maybe you should accept help from somebody for one." I felt myself empathize for him and I knew my frustration was purely childish. I lifted my head with my mouth open to apologize, but Ky turned in front of my path which cut me off. 

I turned my feet away from Ky's direction until I remembered he's in my P.E. class. I cursed to myself and followed him towards the lockers where I could finally go hide in the girl's without anybody staring. 

All the girl's normally get dressed fast so they can go gossip out on the bleachers, and today my little spiff has held me up from following them. I changed into my black shorts and purple shirt quickly then tied my hair up. 

As I stepped out, whispers quieted down and eyes started glaring. I suppose the news has gotten out already. Gees, this school is small. I walked out into the gym and sat with my class in my lonesome until this random girl came and sat next to me.

"Hi, my name is Melissa. I know that you're new here, so I am offering to be your friend because you seem really nice. Plus my friend Marcus talks about you all the time." She rolls her eyes at the last part. 

I laughed and gave her a fake smile. "Yeah, sure. It would be nice to know somebody around here." Random, awkward, and strange. Nobody in this school has seemed this friendly, and yet, nobody anywhere ever is.

"Okay, I apologize ahead of time, my sister says that I come on strong because I am very social. Strangely, I still manage to be an outcast." She laughs nervously and rubs her arm. I touch her arm lightly in assurance with a smile. 

"I understand, my best friend can be the exact same way." I chuckle as I think about past experiences. "Hm, she sounds nice. Where are you from?" Melissa asks with purely interested eyes. "Cali." I answer with a cringe. 

Most people don't accept us here- let me correct that- most Texans don't accept Cali people because we are 'rude' and 'mean'. Therefore, I am hesitant to tell people here. "Awesome!" Melissa pipes up with wide eyes and an imaginary wagging tail. 

"Oh, okay. Well, do you know what we are doing for P.E.?" I asked her as my shoulders relaxed. "Um I think we are doing football because it is a little colder outside. Honestly I suck at football." She scratched the back of her neck and sounded down. 

"That's okay, everybody is good at something. I am sure you are really good at something that I probably suck at." I smiled at her as our coach read the names off a list. I yelled "HERE!" then I heard a bunch of whispers behind me as Melissa squealed at my compliment.

I turned around and saw Olivia Mcullen and her "posse" around her laughing and pointing at me. Yes, I have only been here for a day and a half, but I can figure out who Ky's sister is in a massive crowd. She is all this school's gossip is about.

"Anything you all want to share? Oh, and is your perfume called Darth Vader, because it's choking me a little." I gave them a fake smile. "Maybe I should put on more perfume, then hopefully you will choke to death." She snarls back with her minions boosting her ego with whispering cheers.

 "At least my death will be more peaceful then yours." I winked to bite at her nerves then turned back around. I looked over at Melissa and she had her mouth hung right open. "What?" I asked while scooting back in case of an outburst. 

"Oh-my-gosh, nobody talks back to Olivia. Girl, you just did the impossible without any trouble!" She screamed right in my ear. "Okay well that's nice now, let's get on with P.E." Then as if on cue, I saw Ky walk through the gym doors putting his shirt on and I had to shift my attention, desperately, elsewhere. 

~~~~

Short chapters all around. Sorry, I have no excuse for this one :(

Love you all! Thank you ~Que