Chapter Twenty One

After a long, sweet kiss in the cave, we parted and went our separate ways

"I'll see you tomorrow?" He questioned hopefully.

"Of course."

The walk home was long and tiring, and when I reached the mansion I avoided my family's questioning and retreated to my tower room.

After quickly washing up and placing the silver box onto my nightstand, I collapsed into bed feeling warm and content.

——————————————————

I woke, stretching and smiling happily as I remembered all my troubles were over.

I dressed in a gown of soft gray and clasped the pearl necklace I had received yesterday around my neck.

I felt a tugging in the back of my mind as though I'd forgotten something.

As I brushed out my tangled curls and braided them into an elaborate bun, a sinking feeling once again filled my chest.

Robin must leave. Leave his home, leave Moonacre, leave the forest and the ocean and the village and Paradise Hill and... me.

He was leaving me, and I loved him. I loved him so much that it hurt my chest at the thought of his departure. At least I would see him today, perhaps for the last time.

My mood dampened, I slowly floated down the stairs, listless thoughts of losing Robin filling my mind. I hated to remain helpless, to be so weak in the face of tragedy once again, but what could I do. What could I say. Nothing I could be or do or try could be enough.

I walked into the dining room and was greeting with a smile from a cheerful Marmaduke and Loveday, and a slightly pinched but gladdened expression from my Uncle.

Marmaduke rushed over with a basket in his hand. "Please little Princess, it's such a lovely day for a picnic! Why don't you go outside and enjoy the sun!"

"Don't you want to know what happened to me?" I said suspiciously.

"No no, we've already been filled in." My Uncle's face still looked slightly pinched. Perhaps a strain that revealed his subdued version of... anticipation?

"Now shoo, shoo!" Marmaduke chirped merrily, pushing me along.

I glanced back at Loveday who simply smiled encouragingly.

My suspicions only grew.

————————————————

Once outside, I stood with my face to the sky, grateful to be seeing the sun again.

A hand grabbed mine and pulled me towards it's owner.

"I missed you," Robin murmured.

"Robin!" I hit his chest. "How many times do I have to tell you not to frighten me like that!"