Chapter Twenty

Eventually we all boarded the boat, barely fitting into the tiny shape

Robin was finally allowed to be near me, his leg resting comfortingly against mine. He glanced at me meaningfully, wondering what we should do next.

Magic can come in handy can't it? I smirked, remembering how I had reached deep into me to pull it up like I had before, like a long tether.

I used the tether to search around me for any power source, hoping to find the pearls even from such a far distance. It is imperative to my plan.

The further forward the flickering crescents rowed us, the more desperately I search.

I looked despairingly at Robin, full of fear at my apparent defeat. I had struggled to get us this far, and I couldn't possibly fail now.

"Maria, I don't like that look in your eye," the Jade Rabbit said in a sing-song way. "Are you absolutely certain we're heading the correct way?"

"Yes." I answered, internally proud of successful blanketing the way my voice might have jiggled like one of Marmaduke's gelatin desserts.

"If you say so... dearest child." He purred. "You know we can't have any falsehoods between us, you and I. Our power comes from the very same source. I haven't broken that tie quite yet." His large teeth scraped against his lip, looking like they could draw blood.

I restrained the razor sharp remark rising in my throat and focused on searching for those pearls again. I 

I reached within and pulled at the 'tether' once again, throwing it further and further until I could feel it had extended beyond the cave and into the bright sunlight.

Pulling the strand further out, I forced it to sink into the water and search there. It smoothly glides beneath the waves and pokes between the minuscule grains of sand rocks far below where I could ever physically reach.

I searched more frantically as I see light up ahead, signaling that my time was almost up.

My magic strand pulled thinner and thinner, subdividing and searching in two, no three places at once.

I felt weaker and weaker at every passing moment, nausea filling my stomach as I began to overextend my power.

When I felt the end drawing near, a wave of magical reimbursement began to replenish my power. At last! I struggled to keep my face from showing any sign of triumph.

Quickly weaving the threads of my power into a makeshift net I shielded the pearl's pulsing power from the Jade Rabbit's senses.

The boat had thankfully just exited the cave and gone into the sun. Thank goodness Robin had found this other exit as traveling through the cave had allowed me more time to search.

"Alright Maria." His tone devoid of false honey, the Jade Rabbit glared at me. "Your time is up."

"Fine." I said, feigning indifference. "You are free to search the waters with your oh so mighty powers at leisure." I mocked him while splaying defeat across my features.

Robin's knee pressed against mine again, and I looked over to see a trusting expression on his face. In truth, I had almost forgotten he was here in my strained state.

I watched the Jade Rabbit's features carefully, monitoring it for any sign of victory. The crescents sat expressionless waiting for their masters orders patiently.

Tension filled the air and I watched my enemies face begin to bubble with molten anger.

"Maria dear, have you told me a falsehood?"

"Never. How in the world could I ever lie to you? Perhaps your power just isn't strong enough." My voice was careless and absent, my real focus on shielding the pearls.

"Crescents, grab the boy." He said menacingly.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you." I crossed my arms and gazed at him haughtily.

"Such a pathetic little princess." He spat, snapping his fingers to speed up the crescents motions.

"Please. You're merely a large gregarious burrowing animal." I goaded him.

"Enough!" he shouted, his pale face a lovely shade of puce. "Give them to me. Now. I don't care how, but you must give them to me immediately!"

"As you wish!" I smirked, finally having the opportunity to strike.

I pulled the pearls out of the water in my magical net, pulling the strands tighter and tighter, using every ounce of magic within me. They were quickly crushed into a pearlescent powder, and a strange flash of bright light traveled high into the sky disappearing from sight.

I collapsed onto the boats bottom, all of my power gone with the flash as well as the pearl's radiating magic.

The Jade Rabbit screamsed, not in rage but fear and alarm. I propped myself up to see the lustrous white powder form into the shape of a beautiful white horse, with a shimmering lady atop its back.

"Well done Maria," her voice floated peacefully across the waves, yet as mighty as the tallest mountain. "You have defeated my once loyal helper and once again saved Moonacre."

She laughed lightly, throwing her hand out and ensnaring the Jade Rabbit. "You are hereby banished forever." She snapped her fingers and he disappeared with a piercing shriek of rage.

Her power must have been fully restored when she had banished him, for her image had become clearer and her beauty had only grown.

"Now," she said, and put a finger to her lips. "For your reward. Here." She swirled her moon white hands and a set of shimmering pearl jewelry appears, and a box of silver engraved with my name encircled  around it in the next instant.

"Oh no," I had shaken my head worriedly. "No more magical jewelry please."

Her laugh had been tinkling and feather light. "No no dear, it contains no magic. I don't want to go through that whole ordeal again."

I sighed in relief, remembering Robin again. Her gaze turned to him and she smiled  sweetly.

Her hand formed a small cube shape in the air, but nothing solid appeared.

"Robin, I've gifted you something as well for your help. You'll find it to be of great use very soon."

He thanked her heartily, grabbing my hand and squeezing it, smiling at me with such awe and joy that I had felt a sudden burst of happiness rise up. I leaned over and kisssed  his cheek.

"Alright, alright." She laughed again. "I'll leave you two alone for now. Again, thank you for your great help."

The shimmering powder shifted and blew away on the breeze, rising as the light had.

"Maria," Robin murmured, reaching and pulling me against his chest. "I was so worried!"

"Oh don't worry, I can handle myself." I said as I sighed into his chest contentedly. It was finally all over and we had peace at last.

"Now we go home."

"Let's," he agreed heartily. 

Finally an update! I apologize for the long wait and I am just sincerely glad I could get this one out there. Thank you so much for your support. Don't forget to vote and comment if you enjoyed! See you next time for the conclusion of our story!