Chapter Fourteen

The cold slapped against my cheeks with brute force, stinging me as the numbness overtook my stiff fingers

My booted feet kicked up the powdery snow, and my hair blew in reddish strands around my head.

Robin ran slightly in front of me, his speed and power causing me to fall behind, lips open as I struggled to breathe and keep up at the same time.

His dark head sharply turned to my bowed head and breathless body, as if he could sense my thoughts.

The quick pace of our desperate run slowed, and he clasped my arm as I nearly collapsed with fatigue.

"Robin," I panted, my face flushed. "We do have time, you know. You aren't scheduled to leave for several months."

He smiled, barely winded. "I know, but I need to stop my Father's madness before I run out of time."

I shook my head. "Like I mentioned before, we do have about... two months? Several minutes won't make difference."

His grip loosened, and his eyes seemed to see something far away, something my own eyes couldn't see.

"Princess... you can never be sure of what my Father will do until... he does it."

My brows scrunched together, and my heart clenched, as his fingers gripped my arm once more.

"Run."

-------------------

We finally reached the edge of the De Noir property, which seemed to be covered by a hovering fog of trepidation.

My hair was messy from the force of the howling wind, and my limbs were shaking from the long distance we had run. 

I had thought myself terrified upon my last arrival, but now... now I would consider myself completely petrified.

I hadn't realized I had stopped walking until Robin lay a gentle hand on my shoulder.

He pulled me against his warm chest, whispering words of encouragement into my ear.

I tucked my head in the hollow where his shoulder meets  his neck, and he wrapped his arms around me.

And we shared our moment of terror together, hearts beating as one.

But underneath it all, I could feel current in my blood, shifting and pulling me. Binding me to Robin.

The current had grown from nearly undetectable from this pulsing, breathing monster that was contained in me.

The magic. The magic that caused the prejudice, and the mighty pride that I had worked so hard to erase from this valley, my haven.

Nothing is ever perfect, a lesson I learned to late.

Robin's kiss on my forehead brought my contemplations to an end, and we broke apart, though our fingers were still entwined.

We stepped into the large residence, aware of the imminent danger that lay ahead. Danger of our separation.

The maze of hallways led us through the house, in search of the Coeur, and the dark hallways suddenly brought me racing back to a time right after my Father's death, my last night in the home my Father and I had shared.

He may have been dead, but the pain wasn't. Oh no, the dull ache of his loss still tore my heart in two.

Every breath, every second was pure agony, pure torture.

The only comfort was that each breath I took brought me closer to him. Closer to the day when everything would fade but the memory of his face.

The face of the man who had lied to me, hadn't loved me enough to stay beside me, hadn't cared enough to leave a penny to his sole child, his should have been beloved daughter.

The darkness of the town home's halls encased me, and I felt eyes on the back of my head, heard the heavy, even footsteps of my Father.

He's dead. Dead, Maria! Never coming back. He didn't love you, you foolish oaf.

And I ran, away from the eyes on my back, the ghost that was the source of the fact that I was now an unclaimed orphan, no parents left.

That was when my tears fell, in rivers, puddles, whole oceans. Tears shed for the loss of a Mother she had never know, for a deceitful Father.

I blinked, momentarily allowing myself  to wallow in self pity and sorrow.

How similar this situation was to that night. How this must feel for Robin. How-

"Hello children." A voice said out of nowhere, a steely glint in their eye.

Hey! This is just a short filler chapter to give you something. I hope you enjoyed, even though you are probably getting sick of Maria's contemplations. Please COMMENT, vote, and spread the news! Thank you for reading!