Chapter Nine

Once again, two weeks had passed since I had seen Robin

I was bitterly hurt, and cried myself to sleep every night. I had acted brashly and cruelly, but I had meant every word I had said.

The others noticed the change in me. I came to breakfast pale and sullen, silent besides the brief necessities.

I no longer roamed the woods as I pleased, I lay in my room, gazing out the window. Sirena lay in my lap today, and I stroked her soft fur gently.

I couldn't bear to remember how I had come to find my sweet pet, lest I hurt myself more. Wrolf also lay besides me, keeping me company.

An ill breeze was stirring, and something was going to happen.

---------------

A month of me moping around had passed, and I had yet to put a foot outside.

I had grown sickly pale, and thin. I barely ate, none of Marmaduke's delicious foods could coax more than one or two bites.

Loveday persisted in having medicine sent up to me each day, which I promptly tipped out the window, and nobody dared set foot to near my door.

Today, I had begun to feel dizzy and weak. I could barely move, and a rattling cough wracked my lungs. My throat was sore and dry, my face sweaty, my hair limp.

I tried to stand, tried to get help, but I collapsed onto the floor. Wrolf, my constant companion, whined anxiously, sniffing my palm.

"Wrolf," I wheezed, struggling to take short, panting breaths. "G-g-get help."

And the world was dark.

------------------

Everything was a dizzy haze.

My world was spinning, twirling churning. My throat was dry and I needed water.

"Water." I croaked. "Water," and I fell asleep.

Someone would hold a cup to my lips, a circle of faces surrounded me.

I twisted in and out of nightmares, the tangled sheets ropes holding me in place, my sweat oceans I drowned in.

All the while, I called for Robin. "Robin." I cried hoarsely. He could get me out of this.

I tossed and turned, unconscious and awake all at once.

A small man forced a sickly tasting goop down my throat, and I fell unconscious.

I vomited, not able to stop, dry heaving as strangers held containers and pulled my hair back.

My face was bathed with cool cloths, and I was burning up. Warm water, and I shivered, unable to keep warm.

"Robin. Robin!" I moaned. Every time I fell asleep I could see Robin, but couldn't reach him. If I could only reach him, I would feel better.

The dizzy circle and sickness would stop.

But I couldn't reach him.

I screamed, kicked, and sobbed, calling his name, reaching, reaching, but never touching more than air.

On time, I could clearly hear the little mans voice. "If she is not cured soon, we will lose her."

I wanted to scream at him, "Robin, Robin!" but the name could no longer pass my weak lips unless in a quiet moan.

I was confused, but amidst the haze, I knew one thing.

I was dying.

I just needed to reach Robin! My attempts grew weaker and weaker everyday. Time stood still, every moment was agony.

My ears heard, but my mind could not comprehend.

I heard, "She has called for Robin so often, I think we must bring him here. My niece-" The voice broke. "My niece must have the best we can provide."

I don't know when, but my glassy, fevered eyes snapped open, and I saw him. Robin, he was there!

"Robin!" I moaned, reaching up to him. "Robin."

He stepped forward, and sat down beside me. "It's alright Maria, it's alright."

"Robin." I croaked, grabbing his hand, and he gripped mine back, tightly, like a vise.

My tired eyes noticed the tears in his own, as he whispered, "I'm here Maria. I'm here."

And my eyes fluttered closed.

I don't how long I slept for, but my eyes once again snapped open, no longer fevered or dizzy. Just tired.

My senses came back, and someone's hand held mine. Robin had lain his head against my chest, and was sobbing the same words over and over again.

"It's my fault, all my fault... my fault."

I squeezed his hand, weakly whispering his name.

His head slowly lifted in amazement, and he began to cry harder then before. "You can't be alive. I'm going to awaken, and you'll be tossing and turning."

"Robin, it's me. I'm here." I managed to say in a hoarse voice.

"I-I-I thought that you had left me."

We were both crying now.

"I never left Robin," I smiled weakly. "Never."

He pulled me to his chest tightly, and wrapped his arms around me. I put my frail arms around his waist, and let him support me.

"I remember the first time I saw you," Robin said huskily. "You were at your Father's funeral. I hadn't ever seen such a lovely girl in my life. You looked beautiful, holding a plump red rose and the ebony against your ivory skin." He caressed my pale cheek, and tightened our embrace.

I sighed against his chest. How I had missed this boy.

I spiraled into a peaceful sleep, knowing that I was safe in these arms.

Hello! Sorry, I'm currently not at home, so I couldn't update sooner! I hope you enjoyed that drama filled chapter! But, as you know, nothing is ever completely resolved between Robin and Maria, *spoiler alert* so stay tuned! I've thoroughly enjoyed reading reviews, so please, the more, the better! Remember, vote and review! Until next time. :)