Chapter Fifteen

My breath halted in my chest

My breath halted in my chest. I struggled to keep a sob from tearing at my throat.

So close. The words pounded through my brain. So close.

Clammy palms, chest empty and devoid of any emotion but terror, I looked at the source of the voice more clearly. 

The figure before me was so familiar, yet not.

My father. My father was in that man's empty body. Empty eyes. Empty gaze staring at me like he didn't know who I was.

Robin grasped my arm. "Who is that? What do you see Maria? What's happening?" His words were rushed and desperate, dark eyes probing mine.

He couldn't see him. He couldn't see the shadowy illusion before me.

Magic. It must have been my magic that allowed me to see him.

My father made up of darkness and cold. Nothing like the man who had coddled me in childhood.

But everything like the picture that the lawyers had created for me after his death.

The deceitful man that lied his way through most of his life, leaving behind an enormous amount of debt for his only child to pay off.

"Maria." The word echoed through the hall, deep, haunting.

His lips did not move, the words seemed to come from deep within his chest.

Almost as if... he was projecting his thoughts towards me in some odd manner.

A spike of dull fear, raw and bitter struck me by surprise.

Those empty eyes could see through me, to the very inner part of my soul.

Tears began to fall down my cheeks, and I stumbled backwards, shaking my head furiously.

I fell to my knees, scrambling across the floor until my back hit the hard stone wall.

"Maria." The word was softer now, and the warm arms that now wrapped around me promised safety.

"What do you see Maria," Robin whispered in desperation as he stroked my hair gently.

I leaned back into his chest, trembling.

"He-he-he's there." I whispered, pointing.

"Where?" He said softly into my ear.

"Right in front of us."

I dared not look up, for my own terror kept me in chains, bound to my fear atop the cobbled stone floor.

I am strong. I am strong. I am strong. The words pounded through my mind.

You are strong, and you will fight.

"No!" I shouted, the invisible iron chains melting with every breath I felt rise in me. "You are not real!"

I stood, quivering in fear and anticipation.

I looked up, but the vision stayed.

Power. My mind whispered. Maria, you have power.

The pure moonlight rose within me, and my head tipped backwards as I let the strength fill my very bones.

My hand pushed forward, and blasted the shadowy man away.

The power faded, and I stepped back panting. Searching for a trace of the ghost that had been standing before me.

But only Robin, flesh and bone, surrounded me in his warm embrace as his soft lips captured mine.

He placed his forehand on mine, smiling softly.

"My strong, beautiful princess." Robin's fingers tucked a curl behind my ear.

Though I hated to leave his warm presence, I knew it was time to move on.

"Come," I beckoned, capturing his hand in mine.

His jaw set in determination, he stepped forward and followed.

"Princess... what could possibly be happening?"

"I don't know, Robin." I shook my head sorrowfully. "I just don't know."

----------------

The hall was dark, and the foolish girl and boy couldn't see him.

Couldn't know that he had been planning this all along.

They couldn't possible know that he had awoken the princesse's power, and the transition had caused her to fall gravely ill.

But no, he had sent the boy to save her, keeping the two oblivious to his manipulations.

Why, they had no idea at all that they had played perfectly into his plans. He had been there, shrouded in shadow the whole time, a dark presence in the background.

His mouth twisted into a dark, spine-chilling smirk.

Oh, they would know him soon. Soon. 

Hello again! It's been a while, but you know that life is absolutely crazy sometimes!! (Especially maths) I hope you enjoyed this chapter, and perhaps you are surprised by the darker turn of events, but part of what I wanted to convey was that everything was wonderful in the beginning, with some troubles, but it was all an illusion created by some character that I am not revealing yet. (I most likely will be editing and adding some more foreshadowing in, so if you would like to reread and see all of the bits I'm currently in the process of adding in, please do!) If you enjoyed, please vote, REVIEW, and spread the news! Thank you so much for your continuos support.