Chapter Eight

"What?!" I heard a voice cry, awakening me from a deep slumber

My eyes snapped open- only to fall directly onto the figure of Robin, standing next to his bed with a shocked expression on his face.

I groaned, groggily trying to sit up.

"M-Maria!" He said in a whisper, his face ashen. "What are you doing here? Did something happe? Are... are you ill?" He began to pace back and forth, my eyes following his every step.

"No," I said coldly. "I merely came to discuss the events that have passed between us." I was now fully awake, and sitting up straight. Completely prepared for this conversation.

"D-discuss the events..." He was obviously still shaken, but decided to ignore these unsteady feelings. "First of all," He turned to face me. "Why were you sleeping in my bed?"

"Well if you must know," I retorted angrily, "I had been waiting for your arrival for quite some time, and I was tired, so I fell asleep... on your bed."

I could feel a blush setting onto my cheeks, and I looked down. But not before I could catch a matching shade of red upon Robin's face.

"Where were you?" I looked up at him again. "I was beginning to worry."

"You treat my coldly, with contempt and anger, but then show signs of worry and compassion? Maria, what is going on?"

Robin must be very upset, seeing as he continued to use my given name. I needed to tread carefully- but I couldn't contain my anger.

"Robin, you insist on bombarding me with questions, but have not answered a single one of mine!"

"Maria-"

"No! You must promise me you will listen, and then you may speak!"

I suddenly realized how similar this was to a previous conversation. Only Robin had been hanging upside down...

"In the woods that day-" At my words, he looked at me harshly, not wanting to speak about it. "And the time in front of the manor, you- you acted as though you almost... fancied me, or even loved me."

His eyes softened, almost pooling with sorrow.

"But now... you push me away, not speaking to me, cutting off all ties of our friendship! How dare you! HOW DARE YOU!" My eyes burned with anger and hate, tears dripping down my cheeks.

"I cannot stand to be in your presence any longer!" I stood up, walking out of his room.

"Maria, wait, I can explain-" he grabbed my arm, but I yanked it free.

"Augustus De Noir, do not ever, EVER, touch me again." I slapped him, hearing it resound through the room, watching him fall back in pain- but not caring. "I never want to see you again."

Tears were streaming down my face freely, and Robin looked at me, hurt in his eyes and..., and  I melted for a moment. But only a moment. 

I turned to face him for a last look, and he finally managed to get a word in.

"Maria. I have listened, and now I will speak. I'm sorry for the pain I've caused you, but you must understand. I have not done it of free will, or without a heavy heart, but if you still never wish to- to..."

He paused to look at my face, checking for any change in my demeanor. There was none. He swallowed.

"To... never see me again, then so be it." He stood, confident that he would be pardoned. But I was not in a forgiving mood.

"I never, EVER, want to see you again," I repeated. My face carried a hard expression. A mask of stone, hiding the pain underneath. 

He grabbed my arm again, I pulled away once more. 

I slapped him, harder than before, and he fell to the stone floor with tears in his eyes and blood on his tongue.

"Never, EVER, touch me again, or  Lord so help me, I will hit you so hard that your eyes will never open again."

I slammed the door, and collapsed. Tears fell in torrents, and I slid down the wall, picturing his pathetic face. The face that I had loved.

And the hurt in his eyes. I had hurt him, physically, and mentally. Must I be so cruel, so harsh, that I hurt my once precious bird boy?

Worried he would hear my tears, my tormented cries of agony, and attack me in my moment of weakness, I shakily stood up and went to find Periwinkle. 

All the while, hoping she could travel back home without my guidance, for I was so torn with grief that I could no longer remember the way home. 

Hey! Sorry that this one is short, but buckle in 'cause this story is about to take a turn for the dramatics! Hope you enjoyed!! PLEASE REVIEW!!