Chapter Thirteen

The light chill of autumn had changed to the blizzarding snows of winter, and I had found myself spending more and more time with Robin

We did everything together, never separating to complete even the smallest task.

He would come over to the manor for breakfast, and from there we spent every second of the day together.

Loveday smirked whenever she saw us together, Uncle frowned, and everyone else simply shared knowing glances.

Robin took me to the most magical places in Moonacre, and I in turn brought baskets of Marmaduke's delicious food to share.

We talked for hours on end about everything and nothing at once, his gaze never far from my face.

Of course, a good portion of the time was spent kissing.

Oh goodness, Robin's kisses made my heart flutter and my toes curl. He was so handsome, and kind, yet rough and wild.

Currently, I was getting dressed in a warm velvet dress to keep out the freezing breeze.

Once I descended the stairs, I saw Robin's familiar smile, and he quickly kissed my cheek before offering his arm.

I gladly took it, and we entered the dining room together.

"Where are we going today?" I questioned, raising my brows.

"You shall see," Robin smirked, evenly meeting my gaze.

Breakfast was delicious as usual, and we quickly exited with our picnic lunch, Wiggins and Wrolf at our heels.

The two had become an inseparable pair, one always tagging along after the other. Much like Robin and I.

After we reached the parlor, Robin helped me to fasten my cloak. I was bundled in fur lined gloves, and a fur lined hood as well.

I lifted my face to the pale blue frostbitten sky. The crisp, sharp scent of winter clung to my nose, and the soft sparkling snow powdered my boots.

We left a trail of footprints in the white mounds, small dainty fingers entwined with larger square ones.

Two so different, yet the same. I was Robins, and he was mine. Yet, he was leaving. And he wouldn't be mine.

He would be some other woman's husband, protected and loved by a girl with a heart black enough to please Coeur De Noir.

The Coeur had seemed to be pleasant enough and yet... here we are. The suffering of a foolish heart.

Why had I allowed myself to feel so for Robin, even after I knew what was going to happen in the end?

My gloved hands gripped his tighter, a knot keeping us together. Perhaps if I didn't let go, he wouldn't leave.

And my heart could stay as a whole.

I looked at Robin's handsome face, and he smiled down at me. "Almost there!" He winked, and continued to tug me along.

Hearts. Such a hindrance. Like porcelain, like glass. The smallest mistake could break such a fragile creation in two.

Did Robin know he held my heart in the palm of my hand? Most certainly not!

Maybe I wouldn't ever tell him. It will make our parting so much easier.

Maria, I scolded myself. Enjoy the moment. Make it last.

But the remnant of misery and melancholy clung to the delicate organ in my chest, and I knew it was there to stay.

The sky was now a deeper blue, the very color I had penciled in my poorly drawn teardrops in the innocence of childhood.

My how things have changed, I thought bitterly.

"Look up Maria." Robin's voice shook me from my trance. I hadn't even noticed that I had been looking towards the ground.

I gasped as my eyes took in the serene setting.

Ice covered roses surrounded us, shrouding us like mystical veil.

The deep red rose petals encased in freezing hard shell, had somehow not melted.

"However did they stay alive?" I questioned breathlessly.

"Magic." He whispered, his eyes clouding over.

I could read Robin easily, almost as if he were a part of me. Which, I suppose he was.

Magic had forced his sister away from him, splitting his family apart. Magic had created a centuries old feud. Magic had almost caused my death.

Robin's uncertainty was no great surprise, his past mixed with the curse of an ancient power.

An ancient power that I knew, deep inside of me, ran through my blood, my very being. Something that wouldn't die until I did.

How could such a person as Robin accept me, knowing that?

And then it struck me.

Coeur De Noir. He didn't want me to be part of his family because of the turmoil my bloodline had caused.

He, who had known our feelings all along.

He, who had cast his own daughter aside for becoming affiliated with the twisted power that most yearned to hold.

My eyes glinting with determination, I gripped Robin's hands tight- tighter than before.

Though quiet, my voice carried throughout the glade, fierce and strong.

"I can fix this."

-------------------------------------------

Hello readers! I'm so excited to be back. Unfortunately, this story is drawing to a close, but I'll keep you updated as that happens. I would like to give a shoutout to lepidgetrash for finally getting a reference I made a few chapters back. Great job! As always, I hope you enjoyed and please vote, COMMENT, and pass on the word. Thanks for reading!