Chapter 17 - Shikamaru Pt. 3

A bell dinged as a familiar, but older spiky haired man walked into the store. He looked like he was around 37 years old and had a short goatee. His attire had changed to a haori coat and pants, very similiar to what his father used to wear and wore a necklace with a circular pendant on it. His typical bored expression was now gone and now bore an expression of maturity as his narrow brown eyes scanned the store. Ino was seen standing in the store arranging flowers and looked up to see one of her old teammates entering the shop.

"Look at my little Shika-chan all grown up" Yoshino cooed as she looked at her now mature son.

"Mom!" Shikamaru said as he blushed in embarrassment. Kiba and a few others laugh at his mothers pet name for him.

"You really grow into a fine young man, son" Shikaku said with a small smile.

"Not bad, Shikamaru" Ino commented as her laughter died down.

Asuma gave him a thumbs up and a grin at his older look. Shikamaru shook his head and turned his attention back to the screen.

"Hey Shikamaru! Here for some more flowers?" Ino said as she quickly went to the section where the flowers he needed and listened as he sighed.

"Yeah. She says the smell helps her calm down." Shikamaru replied as he looked around the shop lazily.

After a minute of rummaging through her supply, Ino finally got what she was looking for. "Here you go! Some Lavender and Aloe Vera and I added a few Rosemary flowers, for free." Ino chirped.

Shikamaru handed her the usual amount and smiled. "Thanks Ino" he said.

Ino smiled back and waved as he left, "No problem. Good luck!" she said as he departed from the store.

Shikamaru casually strolled down the street as he made his way home. His mom and dad where probably home by now. They had only recently took a mini-vacation to the Land of Spring. He smiled at the thought. He was glad to see that his parents were enjoying themselves. He knew how hard his father had worked during his lifetime, especially with being the Jonin Commander of Konoha's Shinobi Corps. It wasn't an easy job to balance along with being a clan head. He could see the relief on his father's face when Shikamaru had finally took his place as head of the Nara clan.

He was cut out of his musings when he got home. Once he gets to the compound, he walks inside and goes upstairs to see his wife laying on the bed sleeping. She was currently a month pregnant with their second child. Although he thought he had enough troublesome women in his life, he was really hoping for a girl.

He was curious as to what it was like to have a daughter, after practically training Mirai. He never understood it before, but now he understood what his father was saying when he had told them that men destroy themselves without a woman's influence and that women, despite how they may act, are kind to the men they love. He wondered if having a daughter was just as troublesome as having a wife.

He mentally chuckled as he looked at his wife. He gives a small smile as he brushes her hair out of her face before refilling the vases with water and putting the Lavenders and Rosemaries in there, and placing the Aloe Vera in a separate vase. He leans down and gently shakes her arm, trying to wake her up.

"Chihiro...." He whispers as he rested his hand on her pregnant belly. "I got the flowers. I hope you can sleep well now." he says as he kisses her forehead.

He felt her hand touch his as she mutters a sleepy thanks before returning to her slumber. He smiles as he stands back up. He wrote her a note telling her where he was going before walking out of the bedroom and back downstairs. He was going to Asuma's house for their occasional game of shogi.