Chapter 13 - Sasuke Pt. 2

"WHAT?!" Sasuke yelled. Everyone looked in shock at the missing nin's confession. The Hokage rubbed his temples.

"WHAT?!" Sasuke exclaimed.

"The Uchiha clan. Our father. He and the council was planning a coup d'tat." Itachi said. "When negotiating wasn't working, me and my friend Shusui offered to help. The plan was for Shisui to cast Kotoamatsukami on the clan head to subtly end the coup d'etat."

"However, Shisui was attacked." Itachi stated.

"By who?" Naruto asked.

"Danzo." Itachi said through gritted teeth. "I don't know what happened exactly, however, I do know that when I found him, one of his eyes were missing. When I asked him what happened, the only thing he said was Danzo. Before he died, he entrusted me to protect both the village and the Uchiha name, giving me his left eye."

"You know, he left the clan a suicide note, pleading father and the council not to follow through the coup. However, due to our clans narrow-mindedness, they didn't understand the plea of peace and reconciliation and continued on with their plans for the coup." Itachi said solemnly.

"Understand that if our clan would have went through with the coup, our village would have been plagued with civil war. Many of lives would have been lost, including yours Sasuke. And I couldn't let that happen." Itachi explained. "So I ended the coup the best way I knew how......by volunteering to be the executioner of our clan for their offenses."

"I asked the Third Hokage if I could let you live, knowing what I was going to have to do to my own clansmen." Itachi said. "Before I left, I asked that you be protected and looked over while I was away. I also asked the Third to keep it all a secret. Not even the council knew of the Uchiha clans plans of betrayal."

"I had to keep the truth from you, Sasuke. If you would have known, you would have taken on the mantle of the Curse of Hatred that our clan has suffered through generations. I didn't want that for you." he continued. "However, it seems I have failed in that aspect as well." he said guiltily.

"I'm sorry, Sasuke. I truly am." Itachi said looking away from his younger brother.

It was silent at the campsite. Even Naruto had stopped to listen to Itachi's account of the story. Of course, he was aware of the reasons why Itachi had killed his clan, however, he didn't know what had happened in between. When he was done, Naruto was outraged. Sasuke was quiet, processing everything his brother had revealed to him. The silence lasted for several minutes until Naruto broke it.

"Danzo, huh?" Naruto said as he began sticking the fish on a three long sticks. "Heh..." His bangs shadowed his eyes and he was giving off a dark aura. This caused both Itachi and Sasuke to turn to the blond.

"You know, Shisui was a great shinobi. One that had my upmost respect out of many in the ninja ranks." Naruto said. "He was honorable and a ninja worthy of his caliber and skill. It saddened me to hear that he had died."

"Where were you during the massacre?" Itachi asked.

"I was on a mission. I had arrived two days later after the incident. I can't say that I was surprised that it happened." Naruto admitted.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Sasuke asked Naruto.

Naruto turned to Sasuke who was looking at him. He instantly saw that the boy was emotionally raw. He could see how truly broken he was. His eyes was filled with hurt, pain, longing, and so much more. He was in a vulnerable state that Naruto had not seen from the usually brooding Uchiha. Itachi looked away in shame. Sighing, Naruto centered his attention on the young Uchiha.