Chapter four

The streets were lonely because of the hour. Pure silence. Grayson slept deeply on the back seat of the car. I stopped on a red light and noticed the dark clouds in the sky. I had to hurry. A few miles out of the city and I realise that I actually had no idea were they lived.
I sucked up and reached for Grayson’s pocket to take his phone out. Great. His phone needed a password. After six attempts, a message bounced on the screen saying that the camera had photographed the “intruder”. It couldn’t get worse. I didn’t just have a Dolan twin on the back of my car, but now he had ugly pictures of me in his phone. I didn’t know where to go, I was scared of losing Ethan.
I jumped out of the car and leaned on its side. As I was whining about the terrible luck I had, Grayson decided to come out as well. Maybe he was starting to get sober.
- Please tell me you’re sober.- I said forcing a smile.
- I’m truly sorry.- He was holding his head between his hands.
- Don’t worry. I know how to take care of drunks.
- Not just that. I know it was you who I treated awful. I wanted you to know how sorry I was. My attitude was not okay.
- You didn’t care about that when it happened.- My tone started to get heated.
- I did care. I saw you when Jane introduced me to the class, but I didn’t know your name. And then that happened and I really regret it. I was stunned by you and I went out with my friends tonight, but I couldn’t stop thinking about you and I lost control. I really liked you and I fucked it up. I didn’t know you or maybe I just wanted to look good in front on my team, who know what I was thinking of? God I do regret it. You think you could forgive me?
I was shocked with every single word that had left his lips. I nodded and pointed my head towards the car.
- I need you to tell me where you live.
- Take my phone. Check on favorite locations.
With his phone on my hands, I had the impulse of deleting the shameful pictures. But they weren’t there anymore. I wanted Earth to swallow me.
After finding his location, I drove for a few more minutes. There was a new uncomfortable silence between us and I wasn’t sure if he could remember what had happened between us that night.
Just as the tension was getting on my nerves, we arrived to the house. I walked out of the car to help him get out without making a scene. We were walking to the door when Ethan came out and walked towards us.
- Did you called him?- I muttered.
- Yeah, he’ll help me climb to my room.
I said goodbye to Grayson as quick as I could, but I wasn’t lucky enough to run away.
- Becca?
- Hey Ethan…- I forced a smile.
I kept walking towards the car, but someone grasped my arm.
- Becca, thanks for taking care of me.- Grayson said without letting go of his grip.
- There’s nothing to thank me for.
He pulled me back and kissed me passionately. Did I answered back to his kiss? I didn’t know, I just opened my eyes to find the sad gaze of Ethan on me.
- What’s wrong with you? First you attack me and then you make out with my brother?
- No! Wait. It’s not what you think.
- He didn’t know? I thought you told him we had sex.- Grayson asked in a lower voice
- What!? You two had sex? God, you’re just incredible, Becca. I’m just sorry for leaving that voicemail. Don’t even think about it, don’t even speak to me again. I think this should answer to your “what’s our limit” question.- Ethan said even angrier.
I wanted to stop him, but he was right. I had no right to ask for his forgiveness. I was stupid…
- Why didn’t you tell me you were with y brother? What’s wrong with you?- Grayson added.
- No, Grayson, wait. It’s not what you think. I was confused—
- Yeah, and a lot. I gave my heart to a bitch. What was I thinking when I thought you were different?- Grayson finished and headed away to the streets.
Ethan turned back to the door and slammed it, making the floor under my shoes tremble.
I was now alone, standing under the rain, ashamed and hurt as well as confused cause I’d let everything happen.