Chapter two

The next day, I finally managed to wake up before my alarm sounded off, but to be honest I wasn’t taking conscience of the time.
As I headed to school, I was anxiously waiting for one of his texts. I knew I shouldn’t lean on him and that I should’ve waited for him to take the next step, but I really wanted us to make it to the next level.
- Good morning, lover girl.- Amy shouted at me while she approached.
- Amy, could you keep it to yourself? Don’t make a big deal about anything.
- Oh, but I thought you guys had at least kissed.
- No. That did not happen. He didn’t even answer me when I texted him asking if he had a nice time on our date. Maybe I was a mess and I scared him off and now I’m here just waiting for his message. Oh God, I’m gonna be the school’s joke. Besides, did you know he’s got a car? Why would he walk me home? I don’t get it…
- Okay, you’re done with the whining?- Amy said with a bothered face.
- Yeah, I think I’m done, why?
- Great, cause Ethan’s right there with the lacrosse team. You should go and ask him why he hasn’t replied to any of your texts.
- What? You’re kidding. I’m gonna look like a proper stalker—again.
- Go ahead and try. You may make some hot drama among the lacrosse team and they’ll start making hot rumors between you and Ethan.
- And how’s that useful?
- According to the psychology book I read,- I tried to interrupt her with my shocked face but she kept on explaining.- the more you encourage things on a social group or the more you insist on something, at times, that thing ends up happening. Conclusion: he might wanna try something more.
I’m just gonna ignore the fact that my best friend just said the most clever thing she’s ever said in her life.
- Thanks for the tip. I think I’m gonna give it a shot.
I approached as slowly as I could waiting for him to see me come but he didn’t even noticed me. The situation was starting to turn quite weird.
- Hey! You remember me?
He turned to face me at that moment with the attempt of recognizing me, but I doubt he had any luck.
- Sorry, do I know you?- He asked me seriously.
- Funny! But we had dinner just yesterday, you actually don’t remember?- My voice started to shake. It was getting uncomfortable.
- Look, I’ll be honest. I’ve never seen you in my life and I think you should stop making things up cause you look like you’re overreacting and you’re making a scene in front of the whole team and it’s even worse for me.- He said in the most arrogant way.- So please, go away.
Tears were burning on my throat, fighting to drain down my cheeks, but with the last bit of dignity I had left, I managed to hold myself together and turn on my heels to leave.
- Hey, Becca, you okay?- A concerned Amy asked me once she realized how everyone on the outdoor patio of the school was staring at me.
- I don’t know. I think that wasn’t okay at all.- I answered and the tears started to flow down my face.
I ran away to disappear from everyone’s gaze. I lost count of how many minutes I kept walking away and I just stopped when I felt my phone vibrate.
Amy: Becca, where are you? We’re worried. The teacher wants to call the principal and your parents to tell them you’re not here. Please, just tell me you’re okay…
Becca: I’m fine. Don’t worry. I’ll be home soon.
But I couldn’t fool myself with that lie. I wasn’t okay. I felt powerless and full of rage, maybe because I was humiliated or because all of my plans and moments I ever thought of were getting ruined. I leaned too much again, and I’m angry, hurt, and sad.
—Becca kept walking until she reached the city where she finally got signal again and got a text.—
Ethan: He, hi! How you doing? You’re kinda M.I.A. now, I don’t know anything about you. I wanted to apologise for not replying sooner, I was on the field.
Becca: You’re such a hypocrite for sending this as nothing has happened. I really hate you. You’re just cruel for just being sorry about the texts when you have a million reasons more that you should be apologizing for. But you know what? I don’t wanna hear it. Do not talk to me ever again, and you’re lucky if I’m ever polite to you in the halls.
Whilst a rain of tears kept falling down my cheeks, I turned off my phone and started to walk back home. I was hurt, ashamed, and I didn’t know how to face it.
When I got back home, I was just hoping that my mother wasn’t home yet to avoid any drama. I got in and climbed upstairs, straight into my room so I wouldn’t cross paths with anybody. My heart was broken.
AT THE DOLAN HOUSE.
- Hey, Gray, you’ve seen my backpack? I really need it.
- No, but, why the urge?
- I’ve got something for a special girl. We had a misunderstanding and I just wanna fix things with her. But to be honest, I have no idea about what she says that happened.
- Bro, that’s how girls are. They just want you to run looking for them, they just want you to do something lame like on those rom-com. Grayson taunted as he kept using his laptop.
- Right, I get it, but no, she’s not like that.
- Whatever dude, I got your back at anything, you know that.- He said as he tossed me the car keys.
- Hey, you’ll congratulate me on the wedding.- I said and we cracked together.
- Ethan, before you go. Are you coming to the bar with the team?- Grayson asked as he shoved a bunch of fries on his mouth.
- I don’t know. If everything goes fine with this girl, I think I’ll try to spend the night making it up to her.- I said shrugging.
- Cool, just let me know if you’re coming.
- Yeah. Now, just check up the lacrosse team posts on Instagram. You’ve been away from social media all month, it’s time for you to catch up.- I suggested and I walked out.
—As Ethan drove, Grayson took on his word and checked on his social media.—
I sat on the couch in my bedroom to check on my phone. I had so many Instagram notifications, but over all of them, there was one that I couldn’t avoid to notice. A follow-up request. I clicked on the profile but sadly, the profile was now private, so all I could do was study the profile picture. It was the same girl that I had trouble with today. To be honest, I was too rough on her.
Part of me was starting to think that she deserved an apology.
—Before Grayson could contact her, his lacrosse team arrived to pick him up. He took his jacket and headed to the car with them; avoiding and forgetting about the message that he was craving to send.—
AT BECCA’S HOUSE.
I was asleep, and it was already 5 AM when I heard someone knocking at my door. Who would’ve been so dumb to come and bother at that time? I walked downstairs with all of my anger and ready to face whoever was standing at my entryway.
- The hell are you doing at this hour?- I asked on an angry whisper.
The face looked extremely familiar, it was… Ethan?