Prologue

Along the border of Maine, a business jet swiftly soared thousands of feet from the ground. Its exterior-matte black in color-gave it a pitch black silhouette against the starlit night sky. Anyone who had ever seen the aircraft thought it was odd for a business jet, but they never voiced their opinions. After all, the owner of the jet was far more concerning than his transportation.

William Acuna stared out the small window of his jet, watching as small towns passed in and out of view. A smirk played across his lips; watching the world below was his favorite part of travelling by air. He already believed that he was above everyone else, but it was only in those moments where he could relish the triumph of literally being above everyone else. Ah, yes; with the constant wind and clouds clawing at the window which he gazed through, the glass was almost as cold as William's heart. Almost.

The sound of an old-fashioned telephone filled the cabin, and the impish smile William had been wearing was replaced by a scowl. It would appear that his relishing time was over for the time being. The sound of quick footsteps sounded from behind his seat, and yet he did not turn towards the noise. He did not need to turn towards whatever the inconvenience may be; there w ere people for that. Or at least, at the moment, there was a person.

Cecil Braddock scurried to snatch up his employer's cellphone from the desk at the opposite end of the cabin. He hurried over to his employer and set it gently in his outstretched palm. Cecil watched as the man's large fist curled around the device and pulled it back towards himself. Cecil shivered; the movement reminded him of an octopus, ensnaring its prey before tugging it back to feed.

"What is it?" William snapped as soon as he had pressed the accept button. Nervous chatter could be heard from over the other end of the phone line. It was almost drowned out by the din of what sounded like chaos in the background of the call. Whatever the caller was saying, they continued to repeat it until William tapped his phone screen to end the conversation.

A tense silence came over the sly business man as he stood abruptly and strode to the back desk and sat his phone back down. Cecil stood somewhat awkwardly where he had last handed his boss the blaring cellphone. Until they got off of the jet, small errands such as putting the cellphone on and off of the desk were his job. He did not mention this, however, as his employer leaned heavily over the desk.

William let his head hang down as he stared at the solid surface. His body was rigid, and his muscles clenched in anger so tightly that they trembled. Suddenly he swung his fist upwards and brought it back down with a vengeance. William Acuna wasn't just angry; he was furious. And when he wasn't in the eye of the public, he didn't have a care in the world how he showed it.

A vicious snarl escaped him as he swept everything off of the desk. Cecil cringed; he was going to have to pick that up. William searched the pile of scattered objects before spotting the cellphone once more. William raised his foot and stomped down on it, letting the smallest smile appear as a satisfying crunch was heard. Then he turned towards Cecil with his fists clenched and a dangerous look in his eye.

"That was the hospital. The girl is awake." Those were the only words William spoke. It was such a small sentence. Yet it was an enormous statement, and it was enough to make Cecil's blood run cold. Everything was about to change. Not that Cecil would know; he would likely be dead.