Chapter Seven: Barn Cat

The large otter learned quickly that her little feline friend did not enjoy mornings, and he was even worse off if he hadn't had a bite to eat. Since his sister was so enthusiastic about leaving in the morning, Asteria had taken to having a breakfast spread ready when they'd arrive in the mornings, and when Nibbles and Kalpak left, the two would sit down and eat. Training Jareth in paw to paw was easier than she had expected, the cat had good reflexes and sharp claws, and she knew he could be a terror if he absolutely wanted to be one. But that didn't seem to be the case, even with his current quest.

          "What are you going to do when all of this is over, small one?" She asked, the morning of their fifth day.

          "Oh, I don't know. Probably go back to Dawnmarsh."

          "Not a fan of the city life, are you?"

          "Not a fan of anywhere that's not home, if I'm being truthful, Asteria."

          "What do you want to do in the future?"

          "I'd like to farm."

          "Farm? You're going to be a large cat and you want to farm?"

          "It's a good life, a simple one. Just me, a barn so I can grow things all year round, and a small little house just big enough for me and maybe a wife someday. That's all I want to do. Tend to potatoes and help feed Dawnmarsh."

          "That's a worthy goal, I admit. But why not adventure like your sister?"

          "Oh, Asteria," Jareth sighed, wiping the crumbs of a raspberry tart from his whiskers, "I'm a coward. This whole thing was my idea, going off to find mother, and yet whenever we encounter trouble I freeze up. When the rabbits took my scarf, all I could do was cry."

          Asteria frowned. This boy truly thought he was a coward. Despite doing the things he was afraid to do, he viewed himself with cowardice. "Jareth," she started, reaching out to pat his paw with hers, "We don't all wear bravery the same way. You decided to find your mother despite being afraid. That is bravery. You are learning to fight to protect your sister, despite being a creature of peace. That is bravery. You are brave, little one, though you might not know it."

          "You can't be brave and scared at the same time," Jareth said doubtfully.

          "Of course you can," Asteria told him, smiling softly. "Being scared and doing something anyway is brave."

          Jareth wasn't sure if she was right or not, but he trusted her. He still thought he was nothing but a coward, too afraid to stand up for himself or his sister, but maybe there was truth to what Asteria had to say. Maybe, in some way, Jareth was brave.

          He supposed he'd find out soon enough.