6 - Roadster Ride

He had programmed a perfect replica of himself in the matrix. He ordered Shella to launch his clone while he sneaked into a sport driving augmented reality ap without everyone knowing it. An old red roadster and a royal blue vintage coupé were spinning in front of him waiting for his choice. The aggressive, sleek and elegant line of the blue coupé made him hesitate, but he opted for the sensual shapes and purity of the roadster's line. He jumped over the doors and sat down on the unbleached seat. He ran his fingers over the leather of the steering wheel, stopped at the quality of the external seams, felt the smell of the upholstery. He looked at the titanium and epoxy dashboard. "How sexy this car is! 'He gave a key stroke. "Wow, listen to that snoring! "The excitement won him over. He started first, crushed the throttle, and left, his muscles tense, in a squeal of tires. His pulse panicked. Engine roar. Growing euphoria."That's my guy. You and I are going to have a little getaway."Second, third, fourth, the power released was so intense that it intoxicated him. Its exuberant and fleshy curves, its carbon fiber shell appealed to all its senses.Butterflies swirled in his stomach. Fifth, sixth, two hundred kilometres an hour in a few seconds. Huge freedom. "Wow, I am in control of my destiny. What speed, what sound! Carriers suck!". Yes, the current carriers, in all their automated sophistication, did not give him the pleasure he felt in driving a vehicle himself. And what a vehicle! With exacerbated senses, dilated nostrils, and his heart rhythmic movements he was feeling the escape in a pure moment of happiness.

Alagan most often consumed its entire daily quota of virtual reality with Nam and Cassiopeia. The matrix transported him to the sumptuous worlds they programmed themselves to places that once existed. Anything was possible to create adventures and escape the daily monotony and harassment of his classmates. In addition, he appreciated Cassiopeia's spontaneity. She always had new stories to tell, and would always fight for the oppressed.

Ah! Cassiopeia. An innate sense of justice, unshakeable righteousness and natural cheerfulness combined with a hint of madness, especially in the way she used to dress. He sometimes found her offbeat with her two years younger, a little in the moon, but her undisputed resilience and her intelligence quite impressed him.

Nam, for his part, brightened his days with sometimes-a-little-heavy-jokes . Fortunately, both of his friends were always to the rescue when he was being heckled.

—I have to interrupt the program," Shella warned. Professor Medérisse's class is about to end. You have to take your place in class again.

Alagan vociferated. Shella issued a second reminder. The roadster disintegrated and Alagan found himself in the classroom, inside the matrix. He replaced his pre-programmed clone without anyone noticing. Professor Medérisse, disappointed by the ignorance of her students, was lecturing them one by one.

Rows of heads bent down, fearing the next name that would come up from the mouth of the sixty-year-old. Suddenly, without the teacher's knowledge, a naked woman's hologram appeared on her back. The male students immediately lifted their heads and guffawed, while the girls took offence. A clamour came up very quickly in the room.

—But who dared? Professor Méderisse scolded.

Cassiopeia and Alagan looked at Nam. They had no doubt that he had written a joking agent. The latter was staring at his feet. A sepulchral silence now reigned in the classroom: students were waiting for the sentence to be imposed when a blond head then shouted:

—It's Alagan, ma'am. Everyone knows he's a master of programming!

—Absolutely not, Alagan denied as he felt his cheeks turning coloured.

—You should be ashamed of yourself Joe! the professor intervened. This is bullshit.

An electronic bell rang the end of the class.

—It won't be like that! Professor Méderisse concluded. I'll prepare a report for the academy! Then she checked her watch: you can leave the virtual reality or stay there for those who have not yet reached their quota. We'll talk about it again on Thursday.

The history class stopped. The woman disappeared. The students found themselves in the matrix artificial desert and very quickly most of them, after a good laugh, took different paths. Some of them immediately disintegrated. Nam, Alagan and Cassiopeia were still there when Joe approached them.

— I come to apologize, Joe said to Alagan.

It was frankly not his style to apologize and Alagan, suspicious, wondered what this fake blond terror was up to. Joe explained:

— Well, yes, what, a pussy like you wouldn't risk disobeying! Ah, ah!

— Get the fuck out of here ! groaned Alagan.

The student's image quickly disappeared. That jerk of Joe was rotting his classes a lot lately. Cassiopeia approached him and winked at him.

— Good thing Medérisse loves you! Your story could have turned sour, goody-two-shoes as she sees you.

In fact, "nice" was an adjective that everyone agreed on about Alagan. Too kind, docile, obedient. It caused him trouble with the boys who pushed him around a little to get him to react. As for the girls, attracted at first sight by his angel look, they quickly found him boring and too serious. But Cassiopeia loved him. For his part, Alagan ignored the remarks as much as possible. Half-toned, he was still looking for himself.

— You're the best,' he addressed Nam, clapping his right hand.

— I know, I know! The latter confirmed with great pride.

— You really are kids! their friend lamented. The day the terrorists come to kidnap you, you won't feel so smart!

They were about to leave when Alagan's eyes were caught by straight and beautiful pale yellow hair. The girl, from behind, was talking to one of the students.