Now he watched it burn away. And it sickened him.

He only left when nothing remained but smoke and ash and the crowd dispersed. Will discreetly asked around, but nobody saw what happened to the girl. Nobody knew her.

He couldn't go back to Matthew's. Matthew loved the written word even more than Will. It would crush him.

At least that was the excuse Will gave himself for not going home.

He ended up in a tavern. It wasn't their regular one. He didn't need anyone telling Kate he was out so late. He ordered a drink and pulled out his notebook, overwhelmed with the urge to write down everything. To not let it be forgotten.

The melancholy piano music wasn't helping the tone of his writing. He had to remember to get out his reading glasses. He had another drink and finished the terrible tale.

A woman sat down next to Will and ordered a drink. They got to talking, neither saying anything of value. Will suspected they were both putting off going home. Eventually, she asked him what he had written.

Will wasn't afraid she would cry heretic. This wasn't a place for judgement. He pushed the notebook towards her and took off his glasses. "Might as well read it. No one else ever will."

He had another drink while she read his account. She was silent for a while after reading.

"Why won't you publish it?" she asked.

"What's the point?" Will asked. "No one really cares. Anyone who cares can't do anything. They were just books."

"What of the poor girl?"

"No one cares," Will reiterated. "People go missing all the time. There was a chance to fight back. And it's gone."

She finished her drink. "My brother is one of those," she said. "Disappeared during the Orb Crisis. I care."

"Have you asked around? Some people publish notices..."

"Can't do that," she said in a mournful tone. "I have three children. And a husband who doesn't want trouble. I wish I could. Or I wish I could open the paper and read what happened to him."

"You're fine just knowing?"

"Truth is all we've got," she said. "Those rebels... they got it all wrong. Thought we could get rid of the Eternal. Fucking fools. All it's brought us is a mountain of trouble. But... but they tried. Damned fools were still good enough to try. That means something. It does mean something, doesn't it?"

"I hope it means something..."

A few more drinks. Melancholy conversation. Not much from Will. He just encouraged her to speak of her brother. She seemed like she needed to talk about him. It was a common story, but Will listened. It ended up surprising Will when she suggested they go some place private.

"Oh..." Will said uncomfortably. "I... I'm married."

She held up her wedding ring. "Doesn't bother me."

Will took a real look at the woman. She was a few years older than Will. Her dark curls were undone and spilled over her shoulders. She wasn't stunning, but she wasn't unattractive. He didn't look his best these days, either.

But it sparked something for him. Maybe it was the loneliness in her eyes. Maybe it was her bosom. But Will felt aroused. He even forgot the pain in his leg. All he wanted was to go somewhere private with this woman. He wanted to kiss her. Fuck her. Lose himself.

"Sorry." Will gave a small smile. "I have an early day tomorrow."

Will took off. He felt so far away from the sound of gravel crunching beneath his labored steps and sketchy strangers, who ignored him as soon as they realized he would have nothing. The pain in his knee returned, like a punishment for his moment of temptation. He stopped by a lamppost and clutched his cane so tight that his knuckles turned white. His vision blurred and shadows seemed to seep into his veins, a physical reminder of the corruption he was supposed to have. Out of the corner of his eye, the glint of a distant sanctuary beckoned. The brilliant glow promised absolution for his shadowy soul.