Chapter 24

Despite the wedding being a rushed affair, and under the dark cloud that was Anamaria Hennington, if you asked Lilly, she wouldn't have changed a thing.  Of course, having her parents and Tate Talbot there would have been even better.  However, the more she thought about it, she realized that without some of the events that happened years ago, she would not be marrying the wonderful man at her side, nor would she have met Kat, Johnnie, or the four orphan boys.  

 Lang and Rye walked her up the steps to the altar of the church, then took their places at Zane's side.  The stage drive had asked both men to stand up with him.  Kat and Johnnie faced them next to Lilly.  Hope, Daniel, Gavin, Red, and the boys watched from the first two pews.  With a bouquet of wildflowers in her hand, courtesy of Kat and Hope, Lilly made a beautiful bride.  Zane, dressed in a brand new white shirt, a brand new hat, and a pair of Levi Strauss denim jeans, complemented the short woman before him.  A loving kiss sealed the new Mister and Missus Reeves's vows went the ceremony was done.  

   "I guess it's time to head to the courthouse," Kat said.

   "Yep.  Gavin, head over to the jail and see if the marshal will bring those two men over for us.  I think Landry will probably want them present for the trial," Lang directed

  I think Landry will probably want them present for the trial," Lang directed

  The group then made their way over to the courthouse.  It was not a big building, so with all them inside, the room was almost full.  Franklin Landry stood up at the front talking to Marshal Mcguire.  On the opposite side of the aisle, Anamaria and Abraham Stoneaker sat with their heads together.  When they realized who had entered the room, they both spun around to face the back.  Lilly worked hard to keep a smirk of satisfaction off her face when she saw how red the side of Anamaria's face appeared.  The older woman shot to her feet when she saw the twins.  Raising her chin in challenge, Lilly walked past her, back straight and shoulders proud.  Zane grinned at his new wife's spunk, Hope's small hand held in his much larger one.  Behind him, Red, Kat , and the rest filed in.  Lang and Rye stepped in the door, taking positions on either side of the entrance. 

   "You look lovely today Missus Reeves," the lawyer smiled easily

   A gasp from Anamaria drew their attention.  The older woman's eyes were spitting fire and her both sides of her face were now red, but not from a strike.

   "You little hussy.  I know what you did.  You married that good for nothing stage driver didn't you!!!"

    "I would watch your tone when you speak about my husband," Lilly replied calmly

   Stoneaker's slimy voice chimed in, "I don't see any wedding rings.  Why is that?"

   "I was having them polished.  I wanted my beautiful wife to look her best on such an important day," Zane gestured to Lang, who came forward with two rings in his outstretched palm.

   Lilly had to keep the tears at bay when she realized that the ring Zane slid on her finger was her mother's own wedding band.  The somewhat plain gold band had a filigree pattern stamped into it.  A similar, though more masculine one now graced Zane's ring finger.