Chapter 18

First light could not come soon enough for those at Twin Buttes.  Lilly barely slept a wink that night and was up long before anyone else.  Zane found her in the kitchen drinking coffee.  

   "Looks like you're with me today.  Do you want to ride out on the box or inside?", the big Texan sat beside her with his own cup of coffee steaming in the cool air.

   "On the box, if that's alright with you?', Lilly smiled shyly at him.

  Leaning in, Zane spoke softly, "Getting to ride into Yankee Flats with the prettiest girl in the whole territory beside?  Of course, it's alright with me.  Now, if only she'd let me buy her dinner while we're in town."

   Smiling, Lilly nodded, then kissed Zane sweetly.  His tanned face lit up at this before he pulled her closer.

   "I'm glad to see that smile, Lilly.  Makes my whole day better."

  The noise of feet coming down the stairs pulled them apart.  Soon, Kat and Lang entered the room.  Seconds later, Johnnie came in from outside.  Together they made a plan for the day.

   "I will go with Zane to Yankee Flats and hire a lawyer.  Hopefully, Anamaria can hold off until we get back.  If she does show up, get her away as fast as possible.  She can't know what we are up to. "

   "Kat and I were thinking we'd take the stage into Confederate Gulch since Johnnie and Lang are still on the mend.  Besides, I'm sure the boys are about busting at the seems to spend some more time with their horses."

   "Thanks.", Johnnie said appreciatively.  The strain of the last couple of days was catching up to her.  While not broken as she had originally feared, her ribs were still badly bruised and trying to heal.

   "Well then, we'd best get crackin'." Kat grabbed her hat and headed out the door.

Yankee Flats was busy as ever when the stage from Twin Buttes rolled up the muddy street

Yankee Flats was busy as ever when the stage from Twin Buttes rolled up the muddy street.  Heading straight to Dodie's they pulled up in front of the barn.  Dodie himself came out to greet them.  The older man hugged Lilly and led her inside to talk.  She filled him in on what had happened, explaining why the stage had stopped running over the course of the week.  

   "Glad everyone came out of the accident not too busted up.  That brother of yours is one thought hand."

   "That he is.  Johnnie is too."

   "I'm terrible sorry to hear about the twins.  I hope you get them found and fast", Dodie shook his head, "Never did like that Farlow woman.  Don't see what your Daddy wanted with her anyway."  

  Lilly nodded in agreement, "I've got to be going Dodie.  Need to catch me a lawyer."

  Zane saw the blonde woman leaving Dodie's office and followed her out of the building.  Together they made their way up the street to the hotel.  Lilly reserved a room for herself and inquired about finding an attorney.  The man behind the desk suggested visiting  Madame Opal's Gambling Emporium.  Lilly's raised eyebrows earned an explanation for the odd suggestion.