Chapter 16

"Harrison where are your sister and Anamaria Hennington?"

    "Lillian, it is so good to see you!", the banker was still trying to weasel his way into Lilly's good graces.

  Zane shook his head at the man's audacity before stepping up behind Lilly.

   "The lady asked you a question", Zane's golden eyes glinted dangerously, "I'd answer her before things get nasty."

  Nervously smoothing down his tacky, patterned vest, Harrison answered, "I-I have no idea who Anamaria Hennington is.  As for MaryBelle, she, uh, she went to visit you all.  Didn't you pass her on the road?"

   "No, we must have just missed each other.  Why was she coming to visit us?", Lang broke in.

   "She wanted to make sure you were all right after that horrific crash we heard about.  Your safety was foremost in our minds."

   "Uh-huh."

   "I'm sorry, who are you?"

   "Langdon Farlow."

   "Oh."

   "Pardon me for asking, but who is upstairs?", Johnnie asked.  

   Her sensitive ears picked up the sound of something moving around above them.

   "Nobody!", the Wagnner man burst out, "I mean, it's a dog, er, that I got for MaryBelle.  Just picked it up today."

   "Right.  And you are positive you haven't heard anything from Anamaria Hennington?", Lang stepped forward.

   "I told you I have no clue who that is!"

   Lang looked doubtful but did not ask again.   

   "Well, I suppose we will be leaving then", Lilly turned to go.

   "Wait!  Lillian I-"

   "Oh, Harrison!  Where are you?", MaryBelle's simpering voice came through the front door, "I brought Ryan along for dinner!"

   "Uh, what?", the foreman sounded confused.

   "Rye?"

   Turning around, Lang, Lilly, Johnnie, and Zane were faced with the sight of MaryBelle hanging off of Rye Talbot's arm as they came in the door.  Kat followed looking about as happy as a person sucking on a lemon.   

   "MaryBelle!  You're back early!", Harrison quickly tried to take charge of the situation.

   "Yes, Ryan has some awful news - Hannah and David, the twins are missing."

   "Hope and Daniel are their names, and it's none of your business unless you have any information on their whereabouts", Lang growled.

   "Anyway", the Wagnner sister continued talking, "I said you would post a reward for their return."

   "Of course!  They are almost family."

   "Thank you, but no", Lilly stepped in, "We will handle things on our own.  There is no need for a reward."

   "Are you sure Lillian?  A reward could bring people out into the light."

   "Positive.  Now, if you will excuse us, we are heading home now."

   "Ryan must stay for dinner!  We have so much to talk about", MaryBelle fluttered her eyelashes up at the ranch foreman.

   "Unfortunately I need Rye for some business at the ranch that cannot wait.  Please accept my apologies", Lilly came to her adoptive brother's aid.