Chapter 8

"Caroline Forbes from Q & S Journ. I have a memo coming from my boss that says I am an intern. Do you need the memorandum as proof?" I asked.

A journalism workshop is held at a convention center in the city. Marcel insisted that I attend to have me all prepped for the interview with the Mikaelson's. But honestly, I don't know how I feel about the upcoming interview.

The lady behind the desk shook her head, "No, Ma'am. I see your name on the list. Here is your membership I.D. and please find a seat. The seminar will be starting soon. Mr. Gerard always have a few seats reserved up the front and from the lack of attendees, I predict some to be empty now. Would you need me to escort you?"

Handing me the I.D. with my name, she smiles. I gave her a nod, "Yes please. I'm not familiar with the place."

She giggles, getting up from her seat and leading the way. "It's natural for you to feel that way. Mr. Gerard never briefs his interns in times like this. There are actually a couple of men from your company, who have signed in for the day. You could start getting acquainted with them."

I followed from behind her. There was an immense number of journalists present. Some looking very professional, but there were a few that looked as clueless as I do. The lady from the desk halted and said, "These are Mr. Gerard's reservations," gesturing to four rows of chairs, three of which were filled. She smiles, "You may sit anywhere you please."

Turning away, she whispers something to the man in the third row of my boss' reservations. I take the seat further away from the corner aisle. In front of me was a man with a red afro and nerdy-looking clothes. Watching him pull out his wallet, I caught a glimpse of the packet of condom slipping out of his wallet. I roll my eyes, going back to my little bubble of Caroline.

In a matter of minutes, the seminar started. A few more people gathered in as the French speaker was talking. This time, I chatted some up. "You're also Marcel's intern? I'm a Year Two. You?" the woman asked. I shrugged my shoulders, not comprehending what her words meant. "Oh sorry. You don't speak work. It means that I am at my second year of interning."

My mouth formed an O. "Ohh, I'm a starter. I don't know anything about the Journalism Business."

"How did you end up at the company?"

I smile, "Back in my hometown, Q & S Journ is fairly well known. I heard really great things about it. And all my life, getting the chance to work here has been my dream. I just recently moved to town. I'm from a town called Mystic Falls. You?"

She elaborated lightly on her journey to becoming an intern. She was a college dropout who blogged her way into the business. Launching her blog got the attention of the company and reading her blog entries made them interested in her. They required her to graduate college and she just did two years ago. Her name is Meredith Fell.

A few moments later, two more women came to seat at our row. And by the end of the lecture, the man from the third row, who the lady from the desk spoke to, got up and approached us. "Hello, ladies. My name is Logan. I will be your guide for the day." He smiled gingerly at us and his head turned to Meredith. "Nice to see you back, Meredith."

The woman smiles back, "It's a pleasure to be back, Logan. Shall we start?"

Logan nods and gestures for us to stand and follow him. He directs us through a couple of closed doors and finally stops, "This is the Archive. We transport several timeless works whenever we can during workshops. I consider this batch very fortunate to be able to witness some features we couldn't present the preceding years. Caroline, is it?" He directs to me, I nod. "You are from?"

"Mystic Falls," I reply.

He laughs, "Beautiful small town. And what has your past taught you about journalism?"