Chapter 15

"Are you ready?" I ask Bonnie.

She gives me a threatening look, "If you're teasing because their family thinks I'm a weirdo, then no. But if you're serious, then," she sighs, "I guess I am."

I give her an encouraging smile. "Bonnie, don't get nervous. I'm sure their family is going to love you. It just takes a while, you know. No parent is cool when people date their kids. Trust me, I know. Trust me, I know." Of course, I know. Try being the daughter of the town sheriff, then talk to me about overprotectiveness.

Giving me a nod, she swallows in an uneasy lump in her throat and opens the car door. I open the door from my side and clutch my purse ever so tightly. My eyes wander around the venue. Looks exactly like how I remembered, but more presentable. It's now a museum after all. Not that there was anything wrong with the place before the renovation.

The renovation just gave the place a little more excitement and flare. It brings more sophistication and modernization to a primal looking structure. A water propelling fountain sit opposite the mouth of the museum, and a plant silhouette of an exposed woman stand beside the fountain. It gave the place more artistry than its original blueprint.

A man wearing a hat escorts me to the door. Along the doors await the beautiful and blonde, Rebekah Mikaelson along with her elder brother, Elijah. I didn't expect to encounter Rebekah tonight. Elijah, I'm prepared for, but the sister? She's still not over me protected with my own load of vervain — well, Bonnie's load — so I thought she would be scouring the whole town searching for her own dummy to torture to release her anger.

I guess I was wrong. A pair of couple waits before us in the line. I feel the palm of my hand sweat prominently. Are they ready to risk exposure just to kill me? She wasn't hesitant the last time, what would stop her now? Bonnie shifts uncomfortably beside me. I mentally sigh.

Rather than worrying about my own misfortunes, I should be worrying for my best friend who is going through what can only be described as a major crisis. I take her hand between mine and squeeze it lightly, hoping to pass on some courage. She looks and smiles at me weakly.

The pair in front of us passes swiftly along the door, as we take their place. I watch Rebekah look at me from head to toe, rolling her eyes at me as she did. "So, you'd rather dress in tacky colors with bad hair than be a classic flapper from the jazz age?" she insults my dress. I look down on my outfit, finding nothing wrong with it. "Honestly, I don't know what my brother sees in you."

Frustration gets the best of me as I retort at her comment, "Maybe he sees a challenge. See, unlike some other people, I don't need to force intimidation."

She pouts her lips in arrogance, probably with the memory of when she threatened me. I manage to keep my composure and give Elijah a decent greeting. "I'm glad you took the time to visit the exhibit," he replies.

I smile at him and raise the card strapped behind my neck that identifies me as a journalist. "It's for work, but I am interested in looking through the art." He gives me an equally delighted smile. "Is Klaus in?" I ask, "The firm would love a statement from him."

"And what makes you think that you would have the privilege to talk to my brother? He's a very busy man," Rebekah remarks.

I answer back, "I'm sure he is. I was just hoping that he would have a little gratitude over people like me."

"People like you? You mean pathetic people?" says Rebekah.

Elijah steps in between us, "Enough said. There are guests waiting in the line. I'm glad you came, Caroline, but I suppose it'll be more discreet for you to proceed. I'm sure you'll find my brother somewhere inside." He pauses and looks over to Bonnie, "Bonnie, I'm certain Kol is more than available to accompany you. I insist you have Finn walk you over to him."