Chapter 2

“Wow Bonnie, you look beautiful,” Matt mumbled under his breath. The three of us decided that it be best to go together since I didn’t know anyone around other than the two of them. It’s still so awkward between me and Matt. I haven’t talked to him about this invitation and I’m not even sure that by going, it meant that I was his date.

Bonnie blushed shyly, “Thanks Matt. You look dapper.” They both exchanged smiles before looking back at me. Matt’s blue eyes moved from looking at Bonnie’s direction to mine. I witnessed the dilation of his eyes as they landed on me.

His lips parted, “Caroline,” the part on his lips slowly turning into a grin, “You look gorgeous.” I gave him a small smile and whispered, “Thanks Matt.” I saw Bonnie playfully roll her eyes at the corner of my eye. She’s probably asking us to get a room in her head.

“Caroline’s gorgeous, everyone gets it! Can we please go now? I’m so excited!” she said.

I raised an eyebrow at her, mentally asking her what’s with the rush. Matt offered me an arm for me to take, I voluntarily did. It would be rude not to, considering that he is the reason why I am invited. His car was only a Volkswagen Beetle that could sit four people. I scrambled the bottom of my dress as I headed towards the seat in front, beside the driver. But to my — and I mean, everyone’s — surprise, he opened up the passenger’s door.

Trying hard not to look like a desperate person, I hurriedly staggered to my best friend’s side and got in the car after her. Fortunately, Matt didn’t notice my mishap. “Did he just do that?” I asked Bonnie, while Matt was going around to the driver’s side.

The car door on the driver’s side opened as Matt climbed in. He turned on the engine and started driving away. It was quiet in the car, probably because of the awkward mishap with me and the door thing. Bonnie looked preoccupied, looking out from the window. It came as a surprise to me when the car suddenly stopped.

Matt unbuckled his seatbelt, “I hope you girls don’t mind, but I have a plus one as my date.” My ears did not seize to shock me with this revelation. Date? Bonnie gave him a smile and replied to him for both of us. I looked out to find a girl in a red dress approaching the car. She opened the door and climbed in, “Girls, this is Cami. She’s a bartender at a bar near the supermarket. Cami, these are Caroline and Bonnie, my good friends from Mystic Falls.”

Cami was blonde and pretty, but I couldn’t deny the resemblance — to me. Is Matt so desperate to go out with me that he looks for a carbon copy of me to be his date? They talked along the way to the ball. I overheard that they only met yesterday at the bar. They meet yesterday and now they’re already going out? Slut! She doesn’t even know him yet she’s throwing herself at him.

My hands balled into a fist. What I thought would be a great night turned out to be one of the worst nights I’ve had since I moved. On one hand, the ball was great, it was, but on the other hand, I see Matt flirting with my carbon copy and it enrages me! I set back an empty glass of champagne on the tray of one of the waiters in the room.

The mansion was beautiful. If Bonnie hadn’t given me that heads up, I would have thought that we are visiting the Queen of England. There was a clinking sound coming from the grand staircase. Everybody in the room turned their heads towards the man who initiated the sound. “If everyone could gather, please.” I tried searching for Bonnie in the crowded place, but since she disappeared to look for a drink, she hasn’t come back. Way to bail on me, best friend!

The man in a smart suit, standing on the staircase started speaking when he was assured with everyone’s attention. “Welcome, thank you for joining us. You know, whenever my mother brings our family together like this, it’s tradition for us to commence the evening with a dance. Tonight’s pick is a centuries-old waltz. So if all of you could please find yourselves a partner, please join us in the ballroom.” He stepped down the staircase after the announcement.