Chapter 4

The other end started to ring. He answered, “Caroline.”

I lay down on my bed, slipping my shoes off of my feet, “Look, I'm super sorry for missing out on your visit, but you should've told me you were coming in the first place! So, I don't a hundred percent blame myself.”

I heard him chuckle, “Don't be like this with me, Caroline. I have my exams coming up. What's wrong?

Smiling, “What? I can't call up my best friend because I'm bored and have nothing to do in life?”

He laughed, “We both know you always have something to do in your life. Besides, you're not the type to call for no reason. You have Bonnie there for your boy troubles. Meaning that when you call me, it’s either urgent or very significant.”

Oh, Stefan. I miss having him around. Well technically, we've never really been used to each other's presence. He's only been to Mystic Falls once or twice, but we've kept in touch and he understands me, and me, him.

There was a time when we almost kissed but we swore never to talk of it ever again. We were both drunk and horny, but our lips never came to touch. It was a good thing for me to have pulled away. He's nothing more to me than a best friend and I know that the feeling is mutual. A kiss would have totally ruined the friendship, and it was a good kind of friendship. There was no point of destroying something so nice.

“I went to apply for Q & S Journ. The interview went odd, but great. He offered me the job, but I had to write an article about this family in the city, which involves this guy.”

He cuts me off, “Less than a week in the city and you already have a guy to mess around with? Only you, Caroline. Only you.” He mocks.

I slap my head, “It's not like that,” I laugh, “He's supposed to be some kind of king of the city, as Bonnie so strongly put it.” I paused, stop holding back Caroline. Just say it. “I'm somewhat drawn to his undeniable charms, but Bonnie warned me that he's dangerous. And this huge part of me really wants the job, Stefan, but is it worth risking my safety?”

“It's just an interview. Do the interview and leave. It's as easy as that.”

I sighed, “I wish it were. I told you, he’s got the charms,” I can almost imagine Stefan rolling his eyes at me. “His tendency to charm women with his words and actions is impeccably instantaneous. But I know it's just a game for him.”

Klaus is not a prince charming coming to life. I should know better than to fall for his flirty tricks, but why can't I seem to control myself around him? “Look, you've been babbling about this job to me since your sophomore year. It's your dream to learn and work for them. So do it. Screw the king of the city. Go for what you want.”

Nodding, I smiled. He always knew what to say. “Thanks. That really helps. Wait,” I paused, “If you have upcoming exams, then why did you bother coming here just to see how I was settling in?”

He laughed, “Don't worry about it, Care. I've got it in the bag,” then the line ended.

- / -

Today was a special day for the city. I think it was the monthly town meeting or something like that. Locals and tourists were encourage to raise their complaints and opinions about the problems with the city. Who else better to lead the meeting than the Mikaelsons themselves?

I was standing at the edge of the bench near the town office. It was crowded with locals and paparazzi. Knowing that it was the worst time of day to ask for an interview with the royals, I brought Bonnie with me. I was really hoping she could cozy up Kol for an interview, but she told me that I was talking trash.