Story, part 3

7

Jenny was sat on the grass when she felt it. Fear, a fear like one she had never known. Suddenly she couldn’t breathe. The earth elementals who had been sat on the hedge chattering, felt it too. They were all suddenly alert, some of them screaming, some of them crying, but all of them shocked at what they felt. They launched from the hedge, their tiny wings beating fast enough that some of the leafs on the hedge were actually moved by the pressure. They had begun making a beeline for the front of the house when Jenny began to collapse.

All of this had happened so quickly that Amy under the water was still contemplating whether she had actually just felt a large burst of fear from Jenny. Being unconnected to the earth elementals, she could not feel Pixel’s fear as Jenny could, but she could definitely feel something strange from Jenny. Something that made her shiver. Along with that she could see Jenny’s head falling, and hear the screams of the elementals all too clearly in the water. Her head broke the waters surface just as Jenny’s head hit the grass.  Amy was out in milliseconds, making what was for her a small jump from the water without any thought at all. As she did she brought some of the pool with her in an arc. She landed on one knee by Jenny’s side as the arc of water followed. Just before it crashed into the top of her head, it stopped descending, stopped following the rules of gravity and spread to all sides, creating a swirling dome around the two of them that threatened to shred anything which may try to break its walls.

The earth elementals who had by now turned back to protect their Jenny similarly formed a protective circle around Amy’s dome. Their eyes wide as they looked from left to right, searching for the danger that their brother Pixel felt. One by one they grabbed blades of grass and manipulated them by will, causing the grass to harden and reform into tiny green swords.

Nothing happened. They watched, and Amy watched, her sharp eyes aware and her senses expanded as far they could. Her glow was bright, and the water in the pool bubbled and swirled, ready at any moment to do anything she willed it to.

They waited.

Amy heard a noise, and before realising that this noise had come from Jenny, she lifted half of the pool out its usual base in a dangerous swirling vortex. Her eyes ablaze, with a glow so bright that even some of the earth elementals were momentarily distracted from their cause, turning their heads to check where the pretty blue light was coming from.

Jenny opened her eyes, with a groan. She had no idea what had just happened but what she saw now added only to the fear. As clarity came to her vision she was accosted by a montage of events that left her feeling very lost indeed. There was some sort of swirling blue shield domed around her and Amy, Amy whose glow was brighter and prettier than Jenny had ever seen it. It no longer just looked blue, but seemed alive with some sort of sparkle, as though there were glitter in her friend’s Aura, sparking brightly here and there. The smell of chlorine filled her nostrils in a way that would have made her sick had she not been lying on her loved earth. Just outside the dome Mrs Perry’s pool was no longer a pool at all, but a swirling angry mess reaching several metres up into the night sky, that Jenny was sure would obliterate anything it touched. Amy herself was crouched over Jenny in a defensive pose, looking truly dangerous. This in itself was shock enough, for Amy just did not do looking dangerous. Yet this was nothing compared to what she saw when she called her name. The faint “ Amy?”, resulted in Amy turning her head and staring directly at Jenny. Her eyes were on fire. Blue energy sweeping back and forth so ferociously, Jenny was sure her eyes might have been burnt away forever. No longer were there pupils, iris, and whites, nothing but elemental energy. Amy seemed to not see her, or at least to not recognise her. “A...Amy” Jenny stuttered as Amy stared blankly at her. The girl she knew was gone. Here stood a creature she had never seen before a creature that scared her.