𝟭𝟲. stolen moments

Start from the beginning

     "Now, goddamn it."

     Dick clenched his jaw and looked at Kory.

     "Rachel, I am so..." Kory tried to apologize but the frightened girl hid away and stared at her like she just killed someone with Angela stopping her from going any further near to her child.

     Aurora actually felt bad, and she wished, maybe if she was the one who did it, Rachel wouldn't be hurt right now and her mom wouldn't be so mad. Besides, it didn't matter if it was her because she was used to taking risks and getting the worse end that sometimes she just didn't care what happened to her. Maybe if she wasn't just so afraid of her abilities none of these would've happened.

     "I am so sorry," Kory apologized, and everyone knew it was genuine, but at that moment, they didn't know what to do. Then she seemed to have a change of mind. "I have to go." And just like that, she started to march out of the house, Dick following after her with Wonder Girl on his tail.

     Rachel burst into tears as soon as they were gone. Her mother brought her to her chest, whispering words of comfort to her daughter. A few feet from them, the two teenagers watched in silence, their faces falling for a moment when they realized they didn't have a parent to hang onto.

     But then, Gar slipped his hand into Aurora's, and the tension on their shoulders seemed to disappear. He gave her hand a gentle squeeze, pursing his lips as his gaze stayed on the door where the others had left off, and her grip tightened a little.

    They may not have parents to cling to, but they do have each other and that was enough. They were enough.

     He looked at her, and frowned, noticing how the bruises around her neck were becoming worse as time passed. "This is bad."

      "It doesn't hurt," Aurora lied.

     Gar gently touched the side of her neck, and she flinched, which made him furrow his brows at her. "Let's go get something for it."

     Aurora now sat on the bed in another room where Rachel's mother guided them. Angela led her daughter to the other room to tend to her bruises, leaving her alone. She sat without a word, looking at her shoes like it was the most interesting thing in the world. Then the sound of footsteps made her break out of her daze.

     Gar appeared from the door with a small smile on his face. "Hey."

     "Hey," She murmured, returning his smile.

     He held his hand up that contained the ice pack, and she nodded slightly. At her signal, he trudged inside the room and sat down beside her. The silence was thick, but nobody seemed to know the right words to say. Hesitantly, he moved a bundle of her red hair covering the side of her face and exposed her wounded neck.

     "This might sting a little," He said quietly, and she merely nodded in response.

     He gently pressed the ice pack against her neck, and Aurora winced at the coldness━which almost made her laugh since she could literally summon ice. She relaxed after a few seconds, her deep gaze falling to the floor. She noticed Gar stealing a few glances at her, but she didn't say anything.

     "Did you..." He cleared his throat. "Did you put some ointment already?"

     "Yeah." Aurora nodded.

     "I think she burned you," He said awkwardly.

     The redhead smiled weakly at his words, and she turned her face towards him, which almost made him slip the ice pack off against her neck. However, she quickly placed her hand over his and made him stay still. Gar felt his breath catch in the middle as his eyes briefly landed on her lips, and quickly averted them back to her face.

     "Are you okay? Did I hurt you? Is something uncomfortable? Just tell me━"

     "Gar." 

     Gar gulped. "Uh, yeah?"

     "Thank you," She said quietly.

     He blinked at her, feeling quite nervous from how close she was. "For what?"

    "For everything."

    "You know I'd do anything for you."

    "You know I'd do the same for you."

     This time, he smiled, and he murmured, "I know."

     She looked at him with a certain look in her eyes that he couldn't seem to figure out. Like she wouldn't hesitate to take a bullet for him or jump in front of a train. She really would do anything for him. Then she leaned her head against his shoulder, nuzzling her nose against his neck, and he swore he almost stopped breathing.

     He took a shallow breath before closing his eyes, feeling her warm breath fan over his neck. The closeness made his heart beat a thousand times faster than normal, and Gar wasn't sure if it was a good or a bad thing. But at this moment, he really didn't care. He was just glad Aurora was by his side.

     "I'm glad Chief took you in," Gar said truthfully.

     "Well, it was that or the streets," Aurora said jokingly.

     Gar rolled his eyes amusedly. Then he sighed. "I'm just saying, I'm really happy that I met you."

     "Me too," Aurora murmured.

     He sighed once more, feeling contented with her presence but also a little lost within himself. Yet with no words that could explain his feelings, he simply laid his head above hers, calmed his racing heart, and stared into the distance. The two teenagers trying to find comfort within each other's arms while also trying to find themselves in some other ways.