𝟭𝟭. atonement

CHAPTER ELEVEN
but now i break against the dirt

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐓he end of something always seems a little melancholic yet relieving at the same time. But for some reason, goodbyes were always this bittersweet taste at the tip of her tongue that simply faded away over time. It lingers for a while, reminding her that it was there, and when it disappears━it never really fully goes away. 

     Someway, somehow, it always managed to crawl its way back into her throat until she could no longer breathe.

     "Did it really have to come this way?" Gar muttered. He lied on the couch, his head on Aurora's lap who sat next to him. The two were left to themselves while Dick wandered off to somewhere in the Tower.

     Aurora thought about it for a second. It didn't have to come this way. They all played their parts and lied about it. Dick wasn't the only one to blame. They were all too caught up in their own asses that they'd forgotten what it is like to be a team. They lack a simple understanding which was needed to be a team.

     "No," She said truthfully, staring at the fireplace with a sense of emptiness in her eyes.

     Gar suddenly sat up like he just had a brilliant idea. He looked at her. "I'm going to talk to Dick."

     "Good luck on that," The redhead muttered, too tired to even argue or say anything more. Today's events already made her so exhausted.

    As Gar went to go find Dick, she was left alone sitting in the same place with her mind going on a mile per hour with different things. She hated being alone and the silence that comes with it. At least right now. Because the monsters in her head tend to come out the most when they know she's vulnerable.

     It didn't take long for Gar to come back into the living room as he followed Dick towards the elevator. Aurora put two and two together by seeing the frown on Gar's face and the lack of expression on the older guy's own. Dick was also carrying a bag which definitely confirmed her guess.

     "You're leaving, too?" Aurora asked. Her voice came out quieter than usual as she slowly rose from where she sat.

    Dick faltered. He seemed to hesitate for a second. "I have to."

     "Do you?" Aurora pursed her lips. This time, she looked away and sat back down on the couch like she was too upset to even look at him.

    "Rory." Dick sighed. He received no response from the girl. So he looked at Gar, giving a knowing look. "You... You take care of her, alright? You take care of yourselves."

     "Yeah." Gar nodded slightly, pursing his lips. Then a thought popped into his head. "Oh, um, I got a question. What about the unconscious naked dude down the hall?"

    "He's your number one job. His vitals are steady. Just check on him every few hours, but nothing to worry about. He's probably gonna outlive us all," Dick told him. The boy already looked so stressed until he mentioned a certain someone. "When he wakes up, call Bruce."

     "Bruce Wayne?" Gar blinked. Even Aurora looked up from where she sat.

     "No, Bruce Springsteen," Dick deadpanned. 

     "Who?"

     Dick scoffed under his breath, a little amused. "Look, Conner will probably want to get in touch with Superman, Bruce can make that happen."

     Gar chuckled sheepishly. "So he and, uh, Superman are like..."

     "Just call him, okay?" Dick smiled faintly. "He's your number one job."