𝟬𝟯. revolutionary act

CHAPTER THREE
there is freedom in not belonging

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐈f someone suddenly placed a hand on your shoulders when you were all alone, what would you do? Well, as for Aurora, she clobbered the unknown person with the first thing she was holding, which was a sketchpad. The unknown person, who ended up being the teenage boy with naturally green hair and a mischievous mind, received the end of that sketchpad. He groaned loudly, clamping his face to lessen the soreness.

     "Oh my God," Aurora gasped, although her expression showed otherwise. Her forehead creased in worry. "Gar!"

     He scrunched his nose, the pain vanishing within seconds as he masked it with a bright grin as soon as her eyes found their way to him. Then he slung his arm over her shoulders, gently ruffling her long hair. Aurora huffed in disbelief, purposely ignoring him as she glared at the fireplace after placing her sketchpad on the coffee table.

     "Rory." He tutted his lips, realizing she was ignoring him. He moved in front of her, so it would be hard to ignore him. He smiled cheekily when her eyes landed on him. "I'm sorry. I was just excited."

     She furrowed her brows. "Why?"

     "Well... Scooter's Roller Palace?" Gar wiggled his eyebrows, grinning from ear to ear. She pursed her lips in deep thought. He squeezed her shoulder assuringly. "Don't worry. I'll take the blame."

    "You know I'd love to, but that's..." She muttered, her expression falling as her words trailed off. Gar frowned because he knew why she was afraid to go outside. It'd always been the same reason.

     "Nothing's going to happen. To you or anyone. I swear," He said gently, but she kept silent. His heart did a twist. He hated seeing her so sad. "I'll protect you."

      "How?" She looked at him. It was clear she was frustrated. Mostly at herself and her puzzling abilities that could kill someone with one look in the eye.

     "Well, if someone bothers you, I'll just roar at their face." Gar nodded confidently at himself.

     "Silly." Aurora furrowed her brows at him. He sounded so serious it almost made her crack a smile. "You can't do that."

     "But you've never seen me do it though," He said, puffing his chest out. The two teenagers went silent for a second and then burst out into a fit of laughter. Gar grinned. "Hey! I could do it. Totally."

     Aurora snickered. "Yeah, sure, you can."

     "So..." He pursed his lips. "Are you up for it?"

     "I guess so." Aurora shrugged, causing him to become even more delighted.

    He didn't waste any time dragging her outside the mansion through the basement and made their way to the infamous roller rink without the other people in the house's knowledge. Like they always do.

    Aurora felt her breath get caught in the middle when they entered the roller rink filled with lots of people, ranging from kids to adults, you name it. She didn't even notice that Gar called out her name until he placed a warm hand on her arm. Her best friend gave her an overly concerned look, and she shrugged slightly.

     "Rory?" Gar said softly, giving her a small reassuring smile. "We don't have to play if you're not comfortable."

  "It's fine." Aurora cleared her throat and plastered a fake smile on her face. "I'm fine. It's just... it's been a while."