Chapter One

"Why can't I just stay home?! It's not like it's gonna be anything new." I whined, trying to win this argument.

"Honey, you know it's the law. All pack members of age must go to meetings. Especially when it involves the Alpha." My dad told me calmly.

"They won't even notice. No one knows I had my birthday... that's the joy of being a normal pack member, no attention."

"The alpha can tell when a law is broken. He may not know who did it, or what it was, but he'll know. And he'll figure it out. And then you'll lose your position and the family name will be shamed."

I sigh, knowing he's right. I'm the number three tracker (because I'm not good at fighting), and if I break the law, I'll lose that. I wouldn't care, except my family is so proud of me, especially since we've only been normal pack members.

This pack meeting'll just be more about the lost Alpha. He ran away six months ago, and ever since the pack's been in turmoil. A pack isn't the same without it's Alpha. We've been under the control of our old Alpha, but it's not the same.

'I'll go, but if it's just more nonsense about how we've 'almost found him", I'm leaving in the middle of the meeting."

My dad nods, knowing he can't control me. That's the best part of being an adult, your parents lose their ability to command you.

We walk together to the meeting, moving easily along the empty streets. There are some good things about being late.

We get in the meeting just as it starts. All the chairs are taken, and the room is packed. We keep having to expand, because more and more kids are getting to be of age. So far, being an adult is not that special.

The second-in-command walks up to the podium. Though his position technically puts him under the Alpha, more people listen to him, now that the Alpha's dad stands in.

"You all may be thinking that this is going to be just another meeting telling you that we've gotten closer to finding the Alpha. I wish I could tell you that, but I'm done lying. We've sent the old Alpha, the Luna,"- the rightful Alpha's mother, since he hasn't found his mate yet- "the Alpha's sister, and our top two trackers. The old Alpha, Luna, and his sister have returned, healthy but alone. Our trackers have returned, but they were injured and commanded to keep what they saw a secret. The Pack has suffered without it's Alpha. And so, the old Alpha and I have decided to send our third best tracker. Though her placement might be a problem, I've looked into her training. She is the best tracker, by far, but other requirements pushed her back into third place. It is our hope that she will be able to find the Alpha- taking him by surprise- and convince him to come back. She will be allowed to accept or decline, but if the Alpha is never found, it will be on her shoulders, and no one elses. Will May Collick please step forward?"

Oh

My

Goodness.

That's me. I can't track an Alpha. I'm can't do this. I can't NOT do this either. I don't want the burden. If Tracker One and Tracker Two can't do it, what makes them think I can? But then again, I'm stealthier than both of them. But a worse fighter. He could hurt me! A rogue could hurt me!

"May Collick? Please step up."

I can see pack members looking around for me. Some sympathetic, some annoyed, some even disgusted. My dad turns to me with a small, sad smile. He wants me to do it, I know, but he'll support me no matter what.

Deep breath, May. You can do this. You WILL do this. I push my way through the crowd, hearing murmurs from the pack. I finally get to the front, and stand right in front of the second-in-command. He looks at me and grins broadly.

"Do you accept the challenge of bringing home the Alpha? Do you accept the challenge of keeping him safe and healthy, no matter what you must do? Do you accept that you might have to die for him? Do you accept that, if you do all these things, you will forever be our hero, and your family name will be honored?"

I close my eyes, thinking back to this morning. This morning, when I was just May, where I was just another face, this morning where I told my dad I wanted to be special. I breath deeply, and open my eyes again.

Looking the second-in-command dead in the eye, I tell him loudly, "I accept."

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Sorry it took so long to update! School and family was taking most of my time. I hope you liked the chapter, and are as eager for the next one as I am!

I hope you have a Happy Christmas (or whichever holiday you celebrate), and a Happy New year!

QOTC (question of the chapter): What is your favorite Wattpad book? What is your favorite Wattpad genre?

Don't forget to follow and comment!

Lots of Love,

FanGirl24601r