HEADSHOP | THURSDAY | PART 5 (2131 words)

The headshop, dear reader, for those who don't know is a great place to get what we call legal highs. These highs are cheap and mimic real drugs though they are just not the same. You can get pills though I have not tried them (I intend to). You can get "Snow" a cheap form of Charlie but let me tell you it is shit. Tis like flour going up yer nose. Tell a lie, you feel as though you have had an extra strong cup of coffee. Lastly my favourite substance is smoke you can get all kinds but I tend to stick to the tried and tested a synthetic cannabis in a tin simply named "Smoke."   

The proprietor has made a lot of money from the sale of these legal highs so much so he drives a fancy jaguar but I rarely see him. John is his name and he informs his staf the clerks to serve anyone with money, this includes school children like your humble raconteur. The only rule is to where no school uniform upon entering the store, that should have been a given, but some still chanced their arms after all what are rules if they are not made to be broken? The owner had a simple rule; "sell to whoever the fuck you like and make a shit load a money," his words were not mine. I had no problem in getting served after all I was in me blacks. The head shop was not far from auld Kwick-Fits. Colette was also on duty today, I think. She would give me a good discount on some of the goodies available, she would also offer up a bit of gossip.

The head shop, which is conveniently called Utopia, is well known but often easy to miss. Many of the locals in the town of Letterkenny know the store to be a sex shop and it is. I remember being innocent at fourteen and bunking of and venturing in to see the sex items on offer. Off course I was chased out in a hurry and only saw some items on sale the majority was a wall full of DVD's.

Utopia had been selling drugs now for a year and a bit. It truly was the boom of legal highs. I surmised that this boom stagnated the sale of illicit narcotics, it had to, everyone was turning to the headshops as opposed to shady dealers. It is a great time to be alive. Everyone is reaping the rewards of the infamous boom in the economy, so naturally there is a hell of a lot more money in circulation. Times were sweet and now legal highs were the hot topic.

 Customers were not limited to the down and outs, the wasters and off course the addicts. No, last I saw John we had put the question to him; "who came into his store?" John was brazen but even he did not know all his customers names. John had said he served, teachers, nurses, solicitors, accountants, civil servants, elected politicians and even a judge can you believe. I'm not sure I believed all on the list he rhymed out he served but I would not count him out entirely.

Utopia is one of three headshops in town, it is the OG if you will. Oddly enough I have to pass the other two which are in such a close vicinity to one another, literally a couple of minutes walk. I like Utopia, Colette works there and I tend to get a discount on substances and paraphenalia  or if I so wish I can even get goods on tic if I so wish. I loath debt but when I want to get monged I dabble. Utopia can be found opposite the community centre. Its also positioned beside Provident a money lending organisation. Its kind of sad really. I know some people who take out loans just to go to Utopia and purchase some legal highs. Pathetic really.   

As I walked closer to me destination, I saw Colette looking ever so svelte and sophisticated. Petit and perp. And with her was me own darling bud, someone I certainly did not expect to meet. It was Angie looking great and refreshed. She was literally glowing chewing on a bar of Rocco. 

"Ladies," I say as polite as I can like.

"Alright, Kash," Colette says.

"Hey Bae," Angie says sweetly.

"Sup," I say. "Thought you were back at mine sleeping?"

"Yeah I dozed off for a bit but I set an alarm, have to pick up Ash in a bit ya see."