RECOLECTION | THURSDAY | PART 3 (1189 WORDS)

We walked back to the general and went in through the back door. An ambulance had just pulled in, blue lights flashing, I appreciate there was no irksome siren. I could tell there is an exigency to get the unfortunate patient into A&E. The back doors swung open. An old timer so he is, he came out on a chair. It might be mean to say but he looked to be on his last legs, (don't laugh), this old - timer is hooked up to an oxygen mask so he is.

Angie and I walked to where me Michelle is being kept. We saw all sorts of people most of the older generation in fact. Everyone has some form of ailment, they were in the right place I guess one might affirm.

I stopped at the reception desk en-route to me Michelle's ward. Just be sure they had not played musical beds in me absence. The desk is just a flat-pack Ikea one, wasn't it? Any way to save money. The desk has a pine hue and a curve to enclose the nurse. She has all her papers out in a mess and was looking at her screen. 

"Is Michelle still in ward four?"

The pretty woman stood up to answer, "yes," she merely informed me.

And so Angie and I walked back to the small room we were already in prior to leaving for the park. In there me Michelle is totally alone. The doctors had done there checks and were now gone. Angie opened the door first and I followed.

"Anything good on the box?"Angie asks trying her hand at small talk. I had business to take care of first.

"Nothing, the ne - "

"So what did the doc say?" I blurt out, taking a seat beside her. Angie took a seat at the edge of the bed.

"He gave me painkillers, didnt he, I can't complain much. They are making me - "

"No," I say. "What damage has been done like?"

"Oh right, I have a concussion, suspected broken ribs, fractured shin I think. where is the shin? Ah never mind. I'm lucky nothing more serious has been done."

"You can say that again," I said. "You could have died."

Angie nodded to agree.

"So - "

"So what," me Michelle asks.

"Who did this to you?"

But I do not get an immediate reply for there is a knock on the door. It sounds like a police knock so it does cold and firm.  

It is at this point, dear reader, that a male and female shade came into the room. The air already tasted of burnt bacon. They were wearing a high visibility jacket and under that there best of blue. They also had dark trousers. And brightly polished shoes. These shades had a whole array of gadgets on their belts, Batman for one would be jealous no doubt.

She pulled out a little black notepad and pen and pointed at me rudely. "Might I take a seat?"She asks in a disgusting Dub accent.

Well, dear reader, I could have told her where to go like. But I stood up and allowed her to take a seat. "Sure," I reluctantly said as I feigned a smile trying me best to avoid a snigger.

"Now how are we feeling Miss. Kashmir?" The shade feigned interest. She had azure colored eyes so she did. She took off her peak cap and her brunette hair was in a messy bun. She also wore a lot of makeup but she remained hideous, like, literally, she looked more like a man that is my being kind for your information.

"Fine just fine," Michelle cordially answers. She does not look enthralled to see the shades one bit.

"I'm going for another coffee," Angie informed me. "Are ya coming?" She talked fast and twitched a little that was the effect of too much caffeine I surmised.

"Will you pick me up one like?"

"Sure," she answered. "Sure," and so my partner left the room. That left me alone to chat with the other shade, the man. Off-course me ears listened to what me Michelle had to say. I wanted to learn all about what had happened to her. For I was still in the dark.

"And who might you be young man?" The copper asked, friendly as it were. He had a strong cork accent on him or so I reckon. He was in his early forties with a bit of a pot belly. He also had chubby cheeks as if a small balloon were in his trap. I think I had run into him before for a simple misdemeanor at the time. Loitering, another pathetic law designed to help big businesses who submit to the almighty Machine.

"I'm the son," I inform him, but I dare not make eye contact for I am well and truly rubbered. The female shade began asking Michelle question after question. She noted any small detail.

"Do you know what happened?" The man asked me.

"Not the foggiest," I reply. "Is that not your job?" I add a bit of cheek.

He just pays me a smile, "aye boy'o," he says. "We will find the scum who did this and bring him to justice. Rest assured on that one," I see a twinkle in his eye. He is serious.  

"Aye," I reply.

But not before me.

Michelle's memory is a bit foggy she gave no name of the perp. But she gave the shade a vivid enough description of the person who hospitalized her. The man was in his forties, with buck teeth and more gums, a receding hairline, bit of a belly. And apparently, mom had smelled better pigs.

Sounded like a real ugly fucker.

The shade stayed until they had received all the information they could possibly gain. Angie returned with a cup of coffee which I was grateful for. Promptly I took a sip, it was black, not to my liking but hey beggars can't be choosers.

"And you young lady? Are you a relation?"

"I'm a friend," Angie answers in a snide way.

"Come on Pat," the female copper called for her colleague. And with a friendly goodbye, the pigs left. Ah, dear reader, I should not be so harsh should I? Not all who work in law enforcement are assholes. But you know what they say, one rotten one can so easily affect the bunch. And so often it does.

I went to sit back beside me Michelle. "Did you tell them everything?"

"All that I could remember," she answered.

Twas at that point the nurse came in and informed Angie and I that we had to leave. Which we reluctantly accepted.

"Go to Kwick-fit," mom asked me, "tell him what happened."

"Sure," I say. "Sure."

So Angie and I left the hospital in good spirits, me at least. Angie said she wanted to get a bit a sleep so I invited her back to my place and she cordially agreed. 

"See ya michelle," I said.

"See ya Miss. Kashmir," my darling added.

 We went out the door.