33. Just A Kid

TJ was absolutely right about Courtney wanting to do something Friday night and he was also absolutely right that she would be upset that I pulled an excuse not to come along. To be fair I didn't feel like going out, I just wanted to sit at home and relax with Henry but he apparently had a date. That's why I found myself on a Saturday night all alone eating chips and watching a World War II documentary.

It was just beginning to get really interesting when I heard a knock on the door. I groaned already knowing it was Courtney waiting to chew me out for avoiding her another night and then ignoring her texts.

When I opened the door I wasn't greeted with an angry blonde, instead I met tear filled hazel eyes.

"Dakota? What's wrong?" I watched her as she hid her face behind her hand.

"Is Henry here?"

"Well not now, he's out with the guy for the month" I chuckled. "Same ole Henry."

Dakota's eyes refused to meet with mine and I began to bask in the embarrassment of joke in poor taste. She turned around and began to walk away from me.

"Wait! No Dakota don't leave come inside please." I walked out the doorway and pouted until she came back shutting the door quickly behind us.

"Do you want something to drink?" I watched as she sat on the couch and still refused to meet my eyes. "Need to talk about anything?" I stood in awkward silence waiting for her to say anything to break the unbelievably Worlds Worst silent game. I noticed a small bruise on her wrist and quickly sat down next to her grabbing it.

"Dakota? You can tell me whatever it is that's going on." Her gaze finally met with mine and all I could feel was absolute rage over who had done this to her, who had made her cry like this. The only thing that could come to mind was instead of her finding comfort over whatever happened in Hayley she was here...

"Dakota, please just talk to me tell me what happened" I moved my hand down to her wrist. "I know there's this awkward thing between us but I care I promise I do."

"I had a huge argument with Hayley and I tried to walk away from her and she just clung too hard and I just, I don't know." She hid her face in my shoulder and cried while the only thing I could think of was hold her.

I think we ended up falling asleep because I woke up to us cuddled on the couch with a blanket over us, I looked over at her while she slept. Her eyes were no longer swollen and she no longer looked destroyed. I ran my fingers over the side of her face and caressed her cheek with my thumb, I creeped down to her lips and immediately stopped myself.

Nothing made me happier then to hold her in my arms and I didn't want to ruin this by over thinking it. I snaked my arms back around her and pulled her closer to me, closing my eyes and wishing I could stop time and be here forever.

I didn't wake up again until there was banging on the front door and fumbled running clattering around the living room.

"Dani" I heard the hushed yell. "Dani come on you and Dakota need to get up now."

"Huh?" I rolled over and look at Henry. "Why?"

"Hayley is the one beating down our front door." I peaked over his shoulder and woke fully realizing what was going on.

"Awe shit." I groaned and sat up "Dakota come on get up we're going to my room."

"What?" Henry and Dakota both asked.

"Come on." I said to Dakota looking down at her bruised wrist. Dakota nodded and got off the couch heading towards my room.

I stood and pointed at Henry. "She's not here and I'll explain to you later."

I ran in behind Dakota and shut my door quickly and was met with a really unhappy face.

"Dani" Dakota began to start.

"No Kota I don't know what all that happened last night but she's not gonna know you're here." I pushed past and sat on the edge of my bed.

"Dani it's not your job to protect me, I can handle myself."

"I never said you couldn't handle yourself Dakota." I groaned putting my face in my hands "Don't get prideful on me now, okay?"

"I'm not being prideful Dani, you're just a kid" She walked past and leant against the wall. "You seem to forget that you're just in high school."

"A kid that's just in high school that you confessed your feelings for Dakota." I grumbled back but all this did was make her even more upset. "Wait, it's not like it's just you I also feel like-"

"Don't" She cut me off with the raise of her hand. "Don't say it." She pushed off the wall and made her way to go out to door.

"It's not just you who feels this way Dakota." She stopped in the doorway but refused to look back at me. "I can promise you that I wouldn't leave bruises on you either."

She stormed through the hallway and out the front door and Henry stood doe eyed looking out the door and then at me. "So how about that explanation you promised me?"

-----

Monday morning came a lot sooner then expected and unfortunately I found myself standing in the student parking lot kicking gravel and avoiding walking through the crowded hallways. It wasn't until TJ slapped my shoulder that I realized I had zoned out.

"Come on aren't you ready to see what you'll be running at track meets?" He smiled down at me.

"I'm ready to not see my name on the sheet so I can forget this whole track thing and go back to just hiding out in my apartment." I rolled my eyes

"Come on track meets will give you something constructive to spend your time on instead of laying around sulking over whatever it is you like to sulk over." He gave me a gentle push forward and made me walk out of the parking lot.

"I don't know if you're starting to sound like Courtney or if it's her starting to sound like you." I smirked and looked down at me feet. "Let's go see what I'll be spending the rest of my semester doing."

-----

I sat at our usual booth at our favorite diner with Courtney and TJ celebrating the good news. I reached out for a handful of fries and quickly had them snatched away.

"Hey!" I groaned.

"Not anymore Dani, you're going to be eating really healthy now that you'll be running the 800 AND 1,500 meters." Courtney smiled

"I honestly think you've been WAITING to just deny me of the last thing in life that brings me happiness." I rolled my eyes and leant against the table.

"Well if you thought I was draining you of all your happiness you'll be upset over everyone who just came through the door." Courtney clenched her teeth and I turned around and noticed exactly what it was she was talking about. Mia was quickly approaching us while Dakota and Hayley were coming through the door.

"Great." I groaned

Mia sat down and quickly kissed my cheek. "I heard you made track and you'll be running two events, I'm happy for you."

I caught Dakota's glance and she noticed Mia kissing my cheek. I stood on the booth and stepped over Mia.

"Not to be rude but Henry wants to celebrate with me tonight, you know proud dad and everything he can be so I got to go." I darted away before Hayley could catch sight of me and hurried my way home.