"He's my......stepbrother," he says hesitantly.

"That's unfortunate," I whisper. I heard my name being called and I flicked my head to the direction of the voice. "I said Miss Belle could you introduce yourself to the class? You may stay seated so you wouldn't obstruct ....." the professor motioned around me, "anything important."

I cleared my throat and turned to face the stares. "Hello everyone. Um, my name is Amara Belle. I......had developed Adenocarcinoma or lung cancer as we all know it as, when..... I was just at the age of 4. As I got older, the symptoms worsened but I never let it stop me from pursuing my dreams."

"And how are you feeling now?" she asks me.

I locked eyes with Lucien again. "Uh, it's unbearable at times but I am grateful."

The Professor shoots me a smile and nods. She then goes on to start the class by handing out our syllabus for the term and tells the class about herself.

"So today we will be enduring the great novel Wuthering Heights. Wuthering Heights, Emily Brontë's only novel, was published in 1847 under the pseudonym "Ellis Bell". It was written between October 1845 and June 1846. Has anyone ever read the book before?"

Half the class including Lucas and I's hands went up.

She clapped her hands together. "Well I hope you all enjoyed it. Today's discussion will be about Brontë's uses of literary devices. Could anyone identify some?"

I didn't want to seem too smart as I knew everything about my favorite novel so I gave Lucas the chance to answer this one.

"Emily Bronte's 'Wuthering Heights' is a crucial piece of Gothic literature due to its exploration of darkness in human consciousness. Then there's foreshadowing, used to build suspense and keep the reader engaged. There are other examples like irony, used to tell the story of love and revenge, pathetic fallacy and figurative language."

"Maybe you should let Professor Einstein teach the class," a girl with fiery red hair (probably dyed) sitting next to Lucien jokes, making the class laugh.

"Beautifully listed Mr. Hill. Could anyone tell me what is the story behind Wuthering Heights?"

This time I raised my hand wanting to share my opinions on the great novel.

"Miss Belle," she calls on me.

"The title of the novel comes from the Yorkshire manor on the moors of the story. The narrative centres on the all-encompassing, passionate, but ultimately doomed love between Catherine Earnshaw and Heathcliff, and how this unresolved passion eventually destroys them and the people around them. The first time I read the novel I anticipated as I yearned to learn more about it. Catherine's desire for social advancement prompts her to become engaged to Edgar Linton, despite her overpowering love for Heathcliff. She was understanding and they waited for the right moment to declare their love for each other."

"You're so wrong," a voice says. Lucien's voice.

"Mr.King? Would you like to add something?" The professor asks, surprised by Lucien's participation in class.

"It's wrong. Catherine never waited for him, she was forced to end their relationship with one another. Remember in Wuthering Heights, Catherine falls in love with Heathcliff, a boy her father adopts. Their love is doomed, and both eventually marry other people. Catherine dies in childbirth, and Heathcliff joins her in death after enacting his revenge upon the next generation," he sits upright and intertwines his fingers together.

"Fact, hoqvwr Heathcliff wasn't created to be liked. Emily tells his story frol the abuisve and unpvoed childhood he endured, to him being obssessed over the one person who showed him any real sign of love. Even if he despised Catherine, got married to another and wanted to plot his revenge, he placed it all behind him ," I spoke with confidence.

"Wasn't she the reason he killed himself? She was selfish, only cared about herself," he argues.

"Only cared about herself? Listen to what you just said. He killed himself for her. That's love. He loved her despite them marrying different people. She wanted to be with him even if he was her adopted brother," I argued back.

"At least he was confident without her," he ended.

"At least she has a heart and cares about other people's feelings," I say louder than expected.

"Well we have a debate going on," the professor smiles over to us.

I scoffed and turned in my seat, taking a long, deep breath of oxygen. My cheeks were flushed and I tapped my feet to the floor.

***

If you're liking this story, don't forget to vote and leave a nice review! xoxo