Chapter seventeen: White Feathers and Black Wings!

The wind suddenly changes direction as it lashes at my face. It feels thick and heavy as Rin lets out a startled yelp as a shadow descends from above. Covering my eyes with my arm as the blistering wind brutally assaults them, something substantial and white comes drifting downward. To my surprise, it's a large white feather with a strange yet deadly beautiful woman settled upon it. Something about her set off warning bells as I feel Rin's tiny fingers tightly gripping the end of my kimono. Glancing briefly towards was Sesshomaru was standing, he didn't even seem to be remotely disturbed by the sudden appearance of this woman, whoever she was.

      Within a quick twist of a whirlwind, the sizeable white feather shrinks immensely to the point that she clasps securely between her delicate digits. Dressed in a white and crimson-violet pattern robe with a basic green kosode peeking out from beneath the layers she had on. Her yellow obi is slim tied by the front instead of the back, wearing a pair of bright green beaded earrings, each bearing five beads and a feather on each end. What made her look even remotely less human were her pointed ears and strikingly red eyes. She held a blank expression as she held a single fan in her other hand. I watched as she tucked the pure white plumage into her mid-length dark brown hair that she had tied up high in a short pony-tail. Like Rin, she didn't wear any shoes, so her feet were completely bare.

     'Who is this woman?' I watch her wearily as I feel Rin shift from her spot behind me. Glancing down briefly as I notice that she no longer held that atmosphere of fear draped around her, 'She must have to recognize her.'

      "Kagura! You have a lot of nerve! Showing yourself before, Lord Sesshomaru, like this?" Jaken shouts as he takes a collective step forward, clenching his staff between his talons, threateningly narrowing his full yellow gaze.

      I could feel Ah-Uh shift their posture as they lower their heads to sniff at the grass curiously like they didn't care about what was happening before them. Shino, on the other hand, his fur raised slightly on his hunches with his lips pulled back in a menacing snarl. Black gums glistening along with his pearly white fangs, I knew his one goal was to make sure I was protected no matter what.

      "Jaken, that's enough." Sesshomaru's voice rings over the hostility that his servant was bestowing upon this foreign body before them.

      Kagura, the woman I've learned to be called so, only smirked before her demonic gaze lands on me. Turning to an expression of interest and piqued curiosity, like I was some strange new creature that she hasn't seen before in her lifetime.

      "Shino." I manage to perform something caught between a whisper and a yell. He visibly flinches as he's whole demeanor changes, letting his white fur lay flat against his back as he licks his lips dismissively. Letting out one last low warning growl before letting out a snort, crawling to seat himself on Rin's lap as he kept his dark gaze fixed on Kagura.

      "Another young human, Sesshomaru? I didn't take you for the type." She visibly mocks the young lord from behind her fan.

      "How dare you-!" Jaken squawks as he scrambles forward, fuming with rage as he stomped his foot down on the earth.

      "Jaken!" Sesshomaru's voice held more of a deadly edge to it this time as the imp is quick to lower his head and back away quickly. His brows frown as bright irritation flash before his molten gold hues, his gaze darting from his servant back to the woman before him. "I know you didn't come all this way just to say that, Kagura." He replies as he takes a few paces forward.

      "You are quite right, I haven't come here just for that." Kagura murmurs, her tone still holding that evident smugness and pride. "Naraku is planning to make a pack with a group of demons calling themselves the Blackwing brothers." Snapping her fan shut to further exemplify her statement.

      My eyes widen in surprise as I feel Rin shift closer, pressing her clinging tighter to my back. 'What is going on? Who is this Naraku? What is he hoping to gain from all of this?' My thoughts felt like they were tossed into a blender as I heard Jaken let out a shuttering gasp.

      "What are you hoping to gain from telling me this?" Sesshomaru held clear doubt as he asked her such a simple question, his posture shifting as he turns away from her.

      "He's still frail and traveling North, for someone who wants him dead. I thought you would be overjoyed to hear what I have to say?" Her gaze lingers on him for a little while longer, observing Sesshomaru with much curiosity like a cat stalking a mouse.

      "Hmm, what I do is none of your concern now, isn't it?" His response came in like a cold wind, which earned a wicked hiss from the woman.

      "Don't act so high and mighty!" Kagura raises her voice as she growls at Sesshomaru, his back turned towards her as she quickly removes the feather from her hair and disappearing in a cloud of smoke. Using the sizeable white feather as she rides on the wind without any hesitation, didn't she realize who she just raised her voice to? Why did it matter so much to her to give Sesshomaru that information? What was driving her?

      'At least she wasn't that interested in me, let alone who I was.' I found myself relaxing at the thought as my shoulders slump.

      "Such a boorish woman! One of these days, I'll teach her a lesson!" Jaken yaps and huffs in frustration, his face turning from green to red. "How dare she act so disrespectful!"

      Sesshomaru doesn't utter another word or mention the sudden encounter from Kagura. Then again, he's never been one to hold up a conversation, let alone small talk. I only hear the steady pacing of his footsteps along the dirt path, but somehow it feels like we'll be taking a detour. Jaken continues on his rampage in the background while Ah-Uh takes it upon themselves to follow their master, leaving the little imp behind in the dust.

      "Ah, wait for me, my lord!" He finally catches on that he was left behind as I cast a glance at his flailing form scurries to catch up.

      'I wonder, where are you going, Sesshomaru?' My thoughts linger as I watch the way the wind blew back his long silvery hair. 'What's on your mind?'