Chapter Thirty-Five - Dead Men Tell No Tales

Start from the beginning

They had nothing to go on.

But Cain didn't have the patience to deal with someone who was as committed to their own cause as Cain was his.

Zak, absent of the information he held with an iron grip, was a distraction that Cain didn't need and a dangerous one at that.

"Answer one question," Cain said, standing in front of Zak.

Zak narrowed his eyes.

"Why try to kill your own sister? She's your flesh and blood, it must not have been easy."

"Speaking from experience?" Zak asked.

Cain's hardened expression didn't show the shock he felt on the inside. Instead, he waited for an answer to his question rather than answering Zak's.

"I wasn't the one who decided she had to die. I just followed orders."

"Whose orders?" Cain asked for the millionth time.

When Zak didn't answer, Cain shrugged.

"Is he done?" He asked Jai and Daniel, who were now just observing the conversation.

The two of them nodded and Cain jerked his head towards the door, gesturing for them to leave.

"Enjoy the sunrise," he told Zak.

As Cain turned to leave the roof, Zak spoke.

"Let me talk to my sister."

Cain looked out to the horizon and saw the sun start to peak over the mountains in the distance.

"She won't make it up in time," he said.

He saw Zak shift nervously.

"You turned her then?" Zak asked.

Cain didn't answer.

"Did you mark her too?"

"Yes."

Zak swallowed the knot in the back of his throat.

"I'm interested to know why you would use your last few moments to concern yourself with such things," Cain said honestly.

"You should have let her die," Zak told him, ignoring the probing comment.

"Why?"

Cain's tone hardened as he began to get angry. There was something Zak was hinting at that Cain couldn't quite wrap his mind around.

"She'll wish she was dead soon enough. What you did was selfish. I was protecting her from what is coming." 

"Then why wouldn't you tell me so I can protect her further?"

Zak hesitated.

"I will give you one piece of information in return for something."

Cain's eyebrow rose.

"There is a tracking unit in her left bicep. Do with that information what you want to."