Selena and Josie turn 18

Josie

Parker threw a birthday party for Selena and me and invited some people, including our parents. Markus came to pick me up, but I hesitated. That is a lie. I tried to figure a way of not going.

"Josie, we're going to be late," Markus told me.

I sat on the bed and looked at him.

"That means to stand up, use your legs so that we can go," he said as he motioned with his fingers.

"Do you think anyone will notice if I'm not there?" I asked Markus as he looked at me strangely.

"I'm sure everyone will notice," he replied as I sighed. I reluctantly got up and walked to the door as Markus followed me.

It's not that I have anything against parties, but I never had a party with many people. My parents and I used to have a party with the three of Britt and us. Okay, they did that because they would invite classmates and no one showed. Britt was the only one that came to my birthday parties.

I sat in the car as Markus drove to the house.

"You don't seem happy," he mentioned.

"People never came to my birthday parties when I was growing up except Britt," I admitted as Markus glanced at me. "Mom would invite my classmates, and no one came. So, parties aren't special to me." I shrugged.

"If you were in my family, you wouldn't need your classmates," Markus mentioned as I looked at him. "We have a big family, and I don't know half of everybody."

I looked at Markus as he pulled up in front of Selena's house with the Grays and Shaun. I sighed and got out of the car. I followed Markus into the house, and they decorated it with a birthday theme. I saw the typical cast of characters, plus a few others, including our parents.

I walked over and hugged them. My parents hugged me back.

"Happy birthday, Josie," Mom told me, and Dad followed suit.

Britt tapped my shoulder and smiled as I hugged her. I pulled back. "You always come to my birthday," I said to Britt.

"Always, because we're best friends," Britt agreed as I grinned.

Selena tackled me as our parents laughed along with others.

"That's hot," Presley said as everyone looked at him.

"Shut up, Presley," Payton said, smacking him upside the back of the head.

Selena and I got up as Parker handed us drinks. Okay, celebrating a birthday wasn't too bad, but I had a feeling tonight would change things for me.

Payton

The birthday party was in full swing, and I had one thing on my mind that I wanted to do with Josie. I waited until tonight to do it. It's funny most girls didn't affect me the way Josie does. At first, it was the chase, but then I realize I didn't want the pursuit; I wanted more.

I watched her as she talked to people and laughed. I felt someone nudge me and turned to see pops next to me.

"You know, Josie won't know how you feel about her until you show her," pops said as I looked at him.

I looked at Josie as she talked to my brothers, Selena, and Britt.

"I'm waiting for the right moment. I don't want Josie to think I'm playing games with her," I reasoned.

"Pay, I know you had difficulties with girls, but this girl is different. I think she can be something special if you let her," pops told me as I looked at him.