Chapter 26: Don't trust me

"I don't know. I just—" I licked my lips, trying to think of an emotion that could convey what I felt.

"You just what?" Kylie asked for the umpteenth time because of the umpteen times I've repeated my sentence that I can't finish.

"It's his eyes. Have you seen his eyes? They make the stars—"

"—look like they're not shining, her hair falls perfectly without her trying?" She continued in a monotone voice, flipping another page of her book.

I glared at her, "No, they make the stars ashamed to even exist."

She gave me a ghost of a smile before going back to her book.

"You're barely listening to me. What are you reading anyway?" I asked.

"Will Grayson, Will Grayson." She replied.

"What's the story?"

"I just started reading, but it's about two guys both named Will Grayson, I think?" She replied.

I nodded, my mind wandering back to his eyes.

"Have you ever been in a relationship, Kylie?" I asked.

She coughed loudly, closing the book and turning back to me.

"I did... but I've only dated three guys in my twenty years of existence. One of them I don't even know if I actually dated." She replied.

"Can you tell me about them?"

"Well," She coughed, "the first was back in high school. Just another victim of the usual player. Still, I dated him the longest out of all the girls he's dated before."

"How long?"

"About two months."

She glared at me when I coughed, trying to hide my laugh.

"Anyways, your second?"

"We lasted about a year." Kylie replied, "You know him, actually."

"Really? Who?"

"Adi."

"Wait, what? Really?" I asked.

"Yeah, we kinda hid it from everyone."

"Why?"

She smiled, "Adi was still timid back then. He didn't need everyone to know that he was dating the best friend of the ace."

"Timid?" I asked, "That cocky asshole?"

"Yeah, believe it or not. After we broke up, he focused more on training and he just became this cocky goof."

I nodded, my mouth forming an 'o' shape.

"Also, you trained him so his sarcasm is your fault." She added.

I chuckled lightly, asking her who was the other one.

She pursed her lips, "Promise not to look at me any different?"

"Of course." I replied.

"Well, he was actually cheating on his girlfriend with me." She blurted out.

I blinked, "Really?"

"Yeah... I mean, technically he and his girlfriend didn't break up." She said.

"What? What do you mean they technically didn't break up?"

"Would it count if his girlfriend went into a coma for at least a year and wakes up with amnesia?"

~

All the color on her face drained as a wave of realization hit her.

"Xander... cheated on me, with you, too?"