/chapter thirty-three/

A Melwood Story
Chapter 33

Melissa

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday to Addy! Happy birthday to you!"

Laughter and claps erupt as Adaline attempts to blow out her first birthday candles.

"Can I help her, mom?" Sofia asks in her small three year old voice.
I nod. "Sure, Fia."

Sofia leans forward and helps Adaline blow out her candles.
"Yay!" Adaline says.
"Happy birthday, Addy," I say, kissing her forehead.

After dinner, and cake has been passed around, I pick up Adaline in my arms just as the doorbell rings. A minute passes when I hear the doorbell ring.

"Can I get it, mom?" Nya calls from the dining room.
It could be a handful of people at the door. Chyler. David. Blake. Our neighbors.
"No! Just wait one second!" I call back.

I pick up Adaline and rush over to the door. I take a deep breath and open the door. Chris.

I blink, thinking I'm seeing something, someone that's not actually there.
"Hey," he says.
"Wha-" I start. "Where have you been?"
He smiles a little smile. "Paris. Sorry I've been gone so long."
I almost choke. "Paris?"
"Yeah."

In my arms, Adaline pats my shoulder, which is her way of saying she wants to be put down.
"Okay," I say, setting her down.

Once she's out of sight, Chris asks, "who's that?"
"My daughter," I tell him.
"Your daughter?" he repeats.
"Yes."

Nya comes up beside me. "Dad?"
Chris looks down and smiles at her. "Hi, Ny."
"Where did you go? Why did you leave us?" she asks.
"I went on a trip," he tells her.
"Why didn't you tell us?" Nya asks.
"You would have made it hard to leave," he says.

"You left us!" she almost yells. "You left me!"
I bend down to look in her eyes. "Nya, it's okay. Go back and make sure your brothers and sisters are okay."
She nods. "Okay, fine."
"Thank you."
She turns and leaves with one last glance at Chris.

"What did you tell them?" he asks.
"Nothing."
"Nothing?"
"No," I say. "What was I supposed to do, pretend you—you went on a work trip for almost two years and that you still love them?"
"Yes!"

I sigh, shaking my head.
"Is she mine?" he asks.
I look back up at him. "What?"
"That little girl you were holding, is she mine?"
I let out an exasperated breath. "Of course she is."
"What's her name?"
"I'm not telling you right now."
"What's her name?" he asks again.
"I'm not telling you!" I repeat.

"Fine," he says. "Can I come in?"
I glance around, sarcastically. "You can't right now. You'll confuse the kids. Come back later tonight."
"Okay."
"I have to go, you know, make sure everything is in order with six kids. See you tonight," I say, then go to shut the door.

I go back to the dining room. "How's the cake?"
"Why was dad here?" Nya asks.
"Okay, everyone sit down," I say.

They all listen, sitting down in their chairs. I go and stand at the end of the table.

"Your dad is a wonderful person. You guys know that. He was there for me when Max and Lulu were born. And he brought Nya, Sofia, Kaleb and Adaline into my life. I'm very grateful for him," I tell them. "I want you guys to know that I love each and every one of you, but your dad I always had one of you with us. When we met, Nya was already in this world, and then soon after Max and Lulu. So, your dad needed time alone, away from the chaos of having a big family. He still loves us, as much as it may not feel like it."

"Why did he come back if he's been gone for so long?" Nya asks.
"I don't know, Ny," I say. "I'll find out soon and tell you, okay? I promise."
"Okay," Nya says. "But, is he going to come live with us again?"
"I want my dad back," Max says.
"He gave up on us, Max!" Nya almost yells. "He'll just leave again! You know that!"

"Nya," I say. "Calm voice, please."
"He gave up on us," she repeats in a calmer voice.
"Mom just said he still loves us," Max tells her.
"What if he actually doesn't?" Nya asks.
"Nya," I say.

"I'm just saying, if he comes back, he might just leave again," Nya points out.
"Nya, go upstairs for a minute," I tell her. "Take a deep breath."
"Fine," she says, then stomps angrily out of the room.

"Max and Lulu, watch the younger kids while I talk to Nya, okay?" I say.
Lulu nods. "Okay."

I walk down the hallway and up the stairs. When I reach the top, I see Nya sitting, her back against the railing.

"Nya," I say, sitting down next to her.
"Did he ask to come home?" she asks.
"No."
"I don't know if I want him to come back."
"Why's that?" I ask.
"Because, you know, he left us. He didn't tell anyone except you that he was going and then he just left."
"But, Nya, keep in mind—"
"I need time to think before he comes back to live with us. Max, Lulu, Sofia and Kaleb don't know. All they want is for their dad to come home. They don't know what he did to us, they just miss him. I just want to miss him."

"Listen, I'll talk to him and let him know, okay?"
She nods, tears start to fall down her face. "Okay."
I run my hand through her hair before I get up. "Take a few deep breaths, then come back down when you're ready. It's your sister's birthday."
"Okay," she says again.

I go back down the stairs and see everything is still in order in the dining room. All five kids in their seats, Max and Lulu talking about something, Sofia is sitting quietly along with Kaleb and Adaline is staring mindlessly out the window, banging her hands lightly on her high chair, as she sits in her high chair.

"How's everyone doing?" I ask.
"Sofia wants more cake, but I didn't want to touch the knife," Max tells me, warily.
"Good call, Max." I pick up the knife and cut another slice for Sofia, sliding it in front of her.
"Thank you," she mumbles.
"You're welcome, sweetheart."